Indoor Rabbit colonies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimei126

Reaction score
I hope Im not turning into an obnoxious new comer, but I have many questions. Im thinking about trying to make a rabbit colony in my basement. But, Im not sure how feasible this is.

The temperatures in the basement are always fairly moderate and cool but, I was wondering if the humidity could become a problem. Of course, I could probably control humidity with another dehumidifier.

Next is the problem of keeping things clean and safe. The floor is cement and the walls are typical cinder blocks. Its an unfinished basement. Would I be able to use the basement walls for some of the walls of the colony or should I build a fencing enclosure there. Can I put the colony right on the cement or would I need to build some sort of false bottom/ platform underneath.

I think these are my biggest questions for now. Ill post more as I think of them. BTW, are there any good links for establishing indoor rabbit colonies in similar settings? Ive been looking around but have found mostly outdoor colony setup information.

Thanks,
James

I know there are people who have colonies on cement, I think with straw or woodchips down. Bonus would be that their nail get sanded...Don't know about hte indoor colony links, but I am sure those here with colonies will be thrilled to help you out! Always good to ask Q's (then again, sometimes I wonder as well if I am obnoxious, but I figure better to ask and have the most knowledge available, great to learn from other's experiences!)

Welcome to RabbitTalk, James. :hi:

And no, neither of you are being obnoxious newcomers with too many questions. :lol:

I think your biggest problems with a basement colony, James, will be humidity, ventilation and urine odours. They are all connected, of course. If your rabbits will use a litter box that will be a big help. I don't think I would like the idea of urine soaking into concrete indoors. I know several people have colonies on concrete in outbuildings, but that is a little different. You will likely need a fan. One of those double window fans that can be adjusted so you can choose intake or exhaust or one of each is likely a good idea.

I agree...the humidity would cause the most problems. Dehumidifier would help tremendously. Perhaps you could treat it with one of those stain/water blockers...thinking outloud here.

The corner would work fine, as long as the walls don't weep.

Pine woodchips would be your best bet for bedding, probably. Or the horse bedding made of pelletized woodshavings, maybe.

A fan set in a window, facing out, and on all the time will exhaust a LOT of problems. However, if your basement is anything like mine..the windows don't open :( You'll need a way to simulate the day, as well. Most basements are dark or dim, most of the day. A couple of strings of LED white christmas lights (or the new LED rope lights) on a timer would solve that problem and use very little electricity.

I have a basement with high ceilings and no moisture issue at all

It's funny to see this question right now as I'm starting to think about fall/winter set up again ...

last year my guys were bedded on the concrete with litter boxes. I tried a tarp down but they just got under or dug holes in it or what have you

I think this year I'm going to get soe CHEAP plywood and ChEAp linoleum and make a top floor for the concrete - the urine does stain the floor a bit when they don't use the litter box and that is annoying. they are pretty good about the litter boxes but not perfect.

I use natural light light bulbs and open and close the windows as needed. I'm pretty pleased with the system overall. I use x-pens to make the walls of the runs and Puff Daddy has a plastic grate subfloor or he sits in his wet spots which is not good for matting ..<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 am __________<br /><br />I should add last winter I picked everything up off the floor once a month and hosed it off into the drain. I hope that helped with issues in the floor too.

Brody":26awvwr4 said:
I think this year I'm going to get soe CHEAP plywood and ChEAp linoleum and make a top floor for the concrete - the urine does stain the floor a bit when they don't use the litter box and that is annoying. they are pretty good about the litter boxes but not perfect.

I used to have the chickens on concrete in the winter, but spring 2009 I had the house floors redone with a linoleum type covering that you don't glue down. I put a huge leftover piece down on top of the concrete and WOW, how much easier is cleanup!!! I can actually just sweep everything out weekly rather than getting down on my knees to SCRAPE the concrete with a paint scraper.

And just to bring this back to rabbits, my rabbits were on concrete for a couple of years -- concrete is porous and the urine soaks in. Even though I now have the floor protected, on rainy days, there is still a distinct rabbit pee smell. I'd advise using a sealant on the concrete if you aren't going to have a protective layer on top.

glad you think my idea might work :)
now just to implement the concept :)

(good on ideas - not always so good on making them happen)

Brody":37wjfmyz said:

I kept a colony going in my walk-in "closet" (which had a large window) and stapled plastic down to protect the floor. If I were to do an indoor colony again, I would use new heavy plastic sheeting instead of a used mattress bag, and I would secure it at least a foot or so up the wall.

Otherwise the colony worked out well. I was able to keep the window cracked year-round and have the door closed so that the rabbit room was ventilated but the rest of my house didn't get cold.

I definitely prefer the rabbits outside though. They wake up way too early for me. :)

Latest posts

Back