Another Momma with snuffles....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
So, my favorite doe (F1, a silver fox) threw 9 this am, 7 alive. All seemed fine, just got home and she is blowing yellow and white snot with paws crusted. I am so distraught.... She has been a fantasitic due, but I now fear that Bubble has infected our herd.

What shall I do? I pulled her and cage, but I know this isn't really going to solve anything. Will I need to cull out all rabbits, bleach cages adn start over?

Any and all advice appreciated...

that SUCKS
soe of the most current thinking holds that
pasturella is in 90% or more of rabbits in north america and lies dormant in many until an episode of stress of disease ...

pulling her cage is a good start til you decide what you want to do - culling the whole herd may not actually solve the problem as it is likely in at least soem of the new rabbits you bring in ...

it's very frustrating in a rescue situation too :(

I feel for you .. personally I'd isolate any rabbits who broke out with disease, clean like Mr Clean and watch everybunny like a hawk ..

Brody,
I am so conflicted... I have lost 12 kits and 4 does to ME last month and now two does to snuffles this past 10 days. I think that the group stress of the ME triggered the pasturella in them frankly. The rest seem fine---of course Bubbles litter has it and is being raised for purely meat at this point. I cannot bring any of them to the farm now; its horrible.

My best buck is exposed--arghh. We have nearly 60 does at the farm, so I am not worried about numbers, but this still sucks.

Thought: the one other issue is that I got a bunch of cages; I screwed up and used them without personally cleaning them.... this may have been the back door in.

Oh, my goodness, CH... what a terrible time you've been having! :( I sure hope you're able to stop it soon!

Is there any chance the doe might recover from the snuffles and go on to be a stronger doe for it? I sure hope your buck doesn't catch it, or anybunny else!

Brody's advice sounds really good. Good luck, CH!

Well, I would love to keep her and I can, but I will risk the rest of the herd, also I would not be able to save does for the farm. In essence: two closed herds. I will likely let her finish her litter and adjust as it goes.

am I wishing that its a head full of hay dust from kindling?

__________ Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:54 pm __________<br /><br />Claude, our #1 buck was next door... He seems happy and well. my supposition is that does are more likely to show it as they have more stress: delivery, nursing etc. Claude gets to eat, drink and well.. mate! his main stress point is waiting for a doe to enter his cage....

That really stinks, CH. How many rabbits are we talking about at your home location? This may influence your final decision about what to do.

I don't know enough about snuffles to know whether the cages could have caused this or not. Maybe someone else knows how long the germ can live on surfaces. Something worth checking. Were the two does in question put into those cages? Anybunny else in them?

What is the condition and age of the hay? How long have you been using this particular batch. We are clutching at straws to look at it as a possible non-snuffles cause of the symptoms, but do check it for dusty mould.

In the meantime, be very sure not to transport rabbits or equipment between your home and your farm. Put strict biosecurity in place. If your vehicle is contaminated (from cages or bunnies), clean it. Shower before you go and wear fresh clothes and different shoes. Take no chances.

pasturella according to the vets I work most closely with can be carried on clothing etc but it's life span outside a host is not terribly long perhaps 4 days or so MAX .. one vet says 10 minutes then other says a matter of days .. not helpful huh?
Rabbits aren't worth enough money to warrant a whole lot of research on them for them .. as test animals they are used all the time but it's rarely to benefit rabbits the research is done on them

I have two bucks, 6 does and about 25 juniors (meat) also have one litter from yesterday, one due today and three does bred due about 10 days from now.

__________ Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:52 am __________

I should add that at the farm we have about 45 does either in production or coming into it by September and 3 bucks to service them...<br /><br />__________ Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:49 am __________<br /><br />The hay is from last year; it has been in our garage for several months, I don't feed a lot of hay as I am green feeding daily. Its on a concrete floor--potential cause? Bubble got snot after kindling with same hay, then F1... Have a doe kindling right now too...

I have never had a problem telling good hay from bad but I learned it young - if it doesn't smell fresh, stay crisp and "clean" I don't feed it

Could you get one of the snotty rabbits tested for pasturella - pm I think
then you'd know if you were dealing with a virulent strain of it or something completely different

Hay on concrete is not good... You should have a pallet or two under it to raise it off the floor and allow good air circulation. Your bottom bales are likely ruined.

If I were you, I'd get some this year's hay and see if anything changes. If not, you'll know it's not the hay. If there is an improvement within a week or so of the change, it could indicate that the hay is the problem - or part of it.

Latest posts

Back