extreme newbie, tips?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never owned an angora of any type. I have cared for one years ago for a school project, so I have some idea of the grooming required. I remember a teeny little rabbit(named Q-tip!) and from my short stint as a spinner, I cannot imagine how many YEARS it would take to get a sweater out of that bunny. I imagine longer than it's lifespan.

I have seen giant angoras, that look a little more...practical...as a fiber animal. What would you fiber bunny owners say is a reasonable number of rabbits to keep if you wanted enough yarn for one small adult pure angora sweater a year? I imagine it varies greatly by breed, so info on the breed(s) you are familiar with would be helpful too.

Mostly I am just cuious, I doubt I have anywhere near enough space to have enough angoras to be useful. I do love the feel though, who doesn't?

A lot depends on the rabbit, but a French Angora should give you around a lb of fiber per year. a little angora wool goes a LONG way. You don't want to spin it thick and lofty, like a wool, and you don't want to knit it up really tight. Angora is 4x as warm as sheep's wool. Works best with loose and airy knits/weaves, imo.

My girls, as adults, give me 4 to 5 oz per bunny per shed. They shed every 3 months or so.

English Angora and Giants(as well as Satins) require a lot more grooming than the French. Fiber is superb, but it's very prone to matting.

I'd say 3 rabbits will certainly give you enough fiber for a lovely sweater. With the German/Giants 1 would do if you're thrifty.

One thing to remember is that many people do not use Angora wool straight... They mix it with wool from another kind of critter. It is just too warm on its own in many cases. So you may not need as many Angoras as you think! :)

Less is more with Angoras as the quality of wool you pull off matters - I have too many hairy rabbits right now - so much wool is wasted in little mats I pull out or just sheer frustration with the amount of grooming I have to do on a given day

I'd say start with one then add 2 more if you like the work involved

I would happily maintain 3-5 of different breeds .. or French

Thanks! Something to think about anyway. Maybe when the elderly cats are gone I could have an angora as a house bunny...I could always just make a scarf ;)

I have house bunnies with cats and dogs - no problem - I think thats a great solution for right now!!

Q-Tip

Oh I am SO StealING that for the cream baby ... that is perfect

piffle, Popple, devil spawn and dustbunny all named themseleves

this recent group has not at all - Q-Tip is perfect - maybe toothpaste, mouthwash and comb will complete the set- hAhAHAHAHAHA

I was thinking my husband had a moratorium on in-house, shedding pets...but I would think having it indoors would make the likelyhood of grooming consistantly much higher for me.

Actually, I mentioned it to my husband and he said no more pets in the house EVER. So it has to be an outdoor bunny or nothing....sigh. On the other hand, I don't have to wait for room in the house, hmmm.

Q-tip was the cutest little thing, glad his memory lives on through a new generation of namesakes! He had himalayan markings with pure white wool, looked like maybe 3 pounds soaking wet. The teacher said his fur was really too short for good spinning. He was sweet tempered though. I gathered he was a cull.

Back