Nelson has a weepy eye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So my Nelson (NZR) has a weepy eye this morning. Just one eye. Acting his normal self. Not bad, just evident. If he were white I may not have noticed, but since he's red it's more obvious.

Initial examination didn't show anything in his eye.
His teeth appear fine.

if it weren't for the weepiness of the one eye, I'd say he was the total picture of health!

Any thoughts on what else I should be looking for?

A slightly weepy eye is something to watch, but I wouldn't be too worried if the discharge is clear. He may have got a bit of hay or something in it or grazed it slightly while grooming. Just as a precaution, you should feed/water him last so as not to carry any germs from him to any other rabbits. If other symptoms develop or if his eye gets worse, I would suggest isolating him.

Just as a precaution, you should feed/water him last so as not to carry any germs from him to any other rabbits.

oooh.....Nelson will be MAD!!!!
I'll have foot stomping and crock rattling!!!!! I may even get a grunt from him.

ME FIRST is his policy. :)

If he would not mind you could hold a chamomile tea bag over his eye for a while. Mildly disinfectant.
Steep in warm water- body temp to soften first.
B~

i'll be trying that with Nelson tomorrow. Eye looking less weepy tonight, but still weepy so I'll give him til tomorrow a.m. and then bring him in the house for some TLC. He'll be less than impressed and then wildly curious. He'll give the young cat a good scare I'll bet! :)

Back