Playing with Water Absorbing Polymer Beads

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some "Soil Moist" on eBay and it arrived yesterday. I wanted to make a cooling pad for my dear moggie, Marilla. :benice: It was a bit of an adventure. These little beads absorb water, swelling to 400% of their previous volume. So here I am with this little 8 oz. pouch, wondering how much I need to put into a cat-sized pad. I decided to start with 1/2 c. I put it into a large 2 kg. (about 4.5 lbs.) peanut butter container and added water to the 2/3 mark. Ten minutes later all the water was absorbed and the container was 2/3 full. I divided the gel into two such containers and added more water. And more. And more. I ended up with both big containers full to the brim... quite enough for Rilla's cushion. Sewed it up and called Rilla, who (being a cat) was not the least bit impressed or grateful. Ewwww! Gross! she exclaimed when her paw touched the cushion. ;) It's not wet to the touch, so it wasn't that. She just doesn't like new things. Maybe she will get used to it and maybe she won't. :shrug: Up to her.

Meanwhile, I still have about 5 oz. of the beads left. I'm thinking cooling packs for the humans around here. I had the cushion on my lap while I stitched up the filling hole and I felt much cooler afterwards. When we get tired of playing with this stuff, it can go into the plant pots when I pot things up for winter. Less watering and more consistent moisture.

http://www.soilmoist.com/index.php

my father in law used to say puns were the sign of a clever mind

my grandfather wan't quite so kind ;)

but I enjoy them too :)

Those things are pretty neat... got some Water Crystals (the clear synthetic polymer ones) to fill a small fishtank and sprout seeds in it so the kids could watch the roots grow (homeschooling... botany... :) ). The seeds didn't sprout, unfortunately. I used some of the rest of it in the garden, but really didn't pay enough attention to determine whether they helped or not. I had read that the stuff degrades into a neurotoxin, so I was afraid to use it with my tomatoes, but I used it with ornamentals. Be careful about mixing it into soil without soaking it first... it will heave!

The Soil Moist Natural you linked to sounds like another product I found called Zeba, which is made from cornstarch and is safe for crops.

Biochar is also helpful for soil moisture. But of course it's no good for a pet cooling mat! Boy, did I get off topic! :bash:

Latest posts

Back