Horrible Mites on New Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I went and picked up 8 breeding age NZW does today. The guy decided he wanted get rid of them and gave them to me for free. When I showed up, after an hour and a half drive, he told me that he just noticed yesterday that they have ear mites. So, I went and looked and they are horrific! Not only do they have ear mites, they have fur mites. Their ears are terribly crusty and a few of them have crusty spots on the back of their necks. There is no way he didn't notice this until yesterday. Other than the mites, they do look healthy.

We set up what looks like a M.A.S.H. unit for rabbits tonight. It wasn't supposed to 'go down' like this, but I couldn't see leaving them there and them getting worse.

So, I am going to use 2-3 drops of the pour on Ivomec behind their ears in the morning and treat the ears. My questions are, should I use mineral oil in the ears or olive oil? Do I rub it in and how much should I use? Some of the crusties are pretty deep down in the ear. Will the crust work itself out, or do I need to do something special? Next, when should I repeat the Ivomec, or will once do the job?

TIA. What a mess!

I know rabbits and cats are totally different, but my cat had very bad earmites (he was a feral i "kidknapped") adn I used olive oil, mainly because that's what I had. His ears have all sorts of folds and stuff, I picked out the biggest of the crusties, but that was because it grossed me out. The rest ended up disapearing, so must have come out with the oil.

Either olive oil or mineral oil will work. Just put some in... no need to rub it. The rabbit will distribute it nicely by shaking his head. After a couple of days, the oil will have smothered the mites and it also loosens the crusties. They will come out on their own.

Can't advise about the Ivomec, but no doubt someone else can supply that info.

Good luck with them! Mites are yucky but treatable, fortunately. Be careful not to carry any to your other rabbits.

What I've done with a nasty bout of earmites is to mix a few drops of ivermectin into the mineral oil, before I put it in their ears. Seems to work well. You could do the same for the ones on the back, or give them an oral dosage of ivermectin.

yup I vote mineral oil too - been there done that

don't go digging after crusts - but if they are up near surface and you want you can gently pull them out (like with a little finger with a kleenex on it) something like a qtip can do an amazing amount of damage

Latest posts

Back