I've Been Asked A Q.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadedNightRabbitry

Reaction score
A few people on another rabbit forum I'm on where wondering if I could ask you guys...

Specifically the ones who have experience in breeding while in colony settings, to come answer a few questions on another forum? There's a solid 10+ people on one thread who would all love to hear from some people about how it's done. I would post the link to here on that site, but we're not allowed to advertise, and unfortunately.. =/ That counts...

however one of the mods asked me to make a post here and see if one or two people could come help out a couple of newbies?

Thanks!

sure thing. I've only had the colony for a year, but it's a huge success, and if I can help out, I'd be happy to. Technically, I have 2 colonies, now that I think of it. And MacyBaby is CERTAINLY an expert at it. Shoot me a PM with the addy.

I messaged everyone on the thread with a link to here, no worries! But I think it would be nice to have a little tiny demo or something, if possible? I dunno. I'm the messenger!

My original colony does were raised together so there's never been any problems with personalities. When I put the buck in with them he seems to just make the rounds. Whoever doesn't hop away fast enough ;) After the first 24hours, he's buddy buddy with all of them. They lay around together, grooming each other. In fact, the three does groom HIM a lot. He's spoiled rotten by them.

After two to three weeks I take him out. No sense setting up a problem when the kits come, I figure. This time around we had 2 nest TUNNELS and 1 nest box in the colony. They all chose the same nest tunnel to kindle in. :roll: They had separate nests that first day...but then things got mixed up. They just shared feeding duties. A doe would go in and whoever was hungry got fed :D There were never any problems with territory, or nasty mama. Had 1 kit that didn't survive (runt from the get go), but otherwise, 15 happy hoppy little popples.

I choose to keep the buck separate so that I can control the timing of litters. With my meat buns outside, they'll live together, and I'll just harvest as I need them.

Biggest worry for me has been the simple fact that if one gets sick, they'll ALL get sick if it's contagious. Therefore...I'm double careful with quarantine. New rabbits go out on the porch. Period. After a month, they can go into the rabbitry.

Back