New job!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
Well, two new jobs, actually.

As some of you know, I was a school bus driver, but after having a couple of the devil's spawn on my last route, I had had enough. A few months back, I'd mentioned my stress levels to a friend (same one who went to the auction with me) and she suggested I go see a farmer just around the corner from me. He took my number but didn't have anything right then.

I am now milking cows. :) Eighty-six of them. I've been working with him doing the evening milkings and starting tomorrow, I will be doing the morning milking by myself - starting at 4:30 am. :p It's an interesting schedule - one week, I do Mon., Tues., Wed., Sat. and Sun., the next week is Thurs., Fri.

Then I will be training with my neighbour, who does a rural mail route. I'll be the one shoving the mail into the boxes, and occasionally, filling in and driving the route for her.

So, no more bratty children (and their bratty parents :evil: ) and I'll be done for the day around 12:30. :D

Congratulations, HCF!!! I bet milking and talking to cows is much less stressful. :)

About that, though... my father-in-law Al used to drive buses. All kinds of buses. Sometimes he drove school buses. He had driven fire trucks until he retired from the FD, so, even though he was round, he was not to be trifled with.

One time, he was driving a high school band for a field trip, and they were being absolute hellions. He took it as long as he could, but it finally was too much for him. He pulled the school bus over to the side of the INTERSTATE, stopped, got up, and yelled "Get out!!" at the top of his lungs. The bus went silent, and they all looked at him.

"GET OUT!!" he repeated furiously. Everyone froze and it was deathly quiet, scared that he really was going to dump them on the side of the interstate. "If it doesn't stay this way for the remainder of the trip, you will get out!" he warned. There wasn't a peep the rest of the trip.

Well, one cow has a sense of humour. :evil: She reached through the bars and pushed the button that releases the six cows in the stanchion - before they were done milking. Five of them took off like they were in the starting gate at Woodbine, while one just stood there - "but I'm not done yet . . ." :? So, we had to round them up and send them back through to finish milking.

Other than that, a fairly uneventful first day, more or less on my own.

I didn't see which one did it, as I was at the other end of the milking parlour, carrying a bucket of milk up the stairs. Besides, at this point, I'm only familiar with them from the "back". :roll:

Hey, I do that with the goats too. A lot of my goats are Saanens, or SaanenX, so they're white. They're also all pretty much related, so sometimes I have to sneak a peak at an udder to see who's who! :lol:

Latest posts

Back