I got them finally !!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
I finally got my Angora rabbits.

There is a: white English doe red eyes 4 months, a harlequin English doe 2 months, and a black French buck ( I'll have to check his birth date)

The buck looks so big now, he has really long fur. I am going to pluck him in the next day or so, I think the lady said it was time to pluck him.

So now all my cages are full :)

So many people ask me this question, what is the Angora fiber called? is it wool, fur, hair what do I tell them? :laugh:

I am so exited about them, hopefully they won't die on me like my other one did, but I have to be positive
they are going to live, they are going to live, they are going to live. Do you hear an echo? :laugh:

Congratulations!! :clap: :up:

The fiber is called angora wool. The fiber from an angora GOAT is called mohair. (gets confusing)

The angoras put a LOT of effort into the wool production. They need a good high protein diet. (16% pellets is fine) AND a grass hay(like timothy) if you feed pellets. They groom themselves a lot, and the fiber gets into their stomachs and clogs things up.

Groom them at least once a week. More often with the English is good :) It also gets them friendly and easy to handle.

I feed mine a mix of grains (wheat, barley, oats), with alfalfa hay, and timothy hay for fiber (and for something to nibble on). They also get armloads of greens daily (usually in the morning) They've also been on a straight pellet with timothy hay diet and did just fine.

I'm sure RabbitGeek will chime in with advice. He and his wife have had angoras for a LONG time and he gives great advice. he has a website/blog with a LOT of info on it...http://www.rabbitgeek.com/

Congratulations! :bouncy: You must be so excited, Farm Girl... I'll bet you can't stop going and looking at them fifty times a day. :D

But... but... but... Where are the PICTURES??? :twisted:

Pictures will be coming soon Be patient :D
Its raining out and not a good day for taking pics but since I'm going to be plucking Sam (the buck as you might be able to tell from his name) :lol: I will have to take some today before his lovely "Angora wool" (thanks Ann) comes off.<br /><br />__________ Sun May 16, 2010 2:09 pm __________<br /><br />Here are the pictures of the newbies.

Top Sam he is about 9 months old.

Middle is Cherry 4 months

Bottom is Hannah 2 months old, does anyone know what color she is? The lady said that she is a harlequin, is that her color or her pattern?
View attachment phpTv6S1LPM.jpg

View attachment phpxJipb0PM.jpg

View attachment phphpG5NKPM.jpg

I was planning to get all French but there weren't any French does so I got the English.
actually did see a doe, but it was after I already bought them, oh well I really like the ones I got. :)

Having the variety gives you a couple of ways to go with breeding, you know :) For one thing, the fiber from the English is excellent, but they mat more easily..many fiber breeders go with crosses...so at the moment, you can breed and sell to fiber people. The crosses often seem to have the best of both breeds.

It also gives you a chance to see which type you prefer. I love my little mostly English buck..but MAN he's a lot of work. The does that show more French type are a LOT easier to care for.

You can then go find a French doe for your next purchase, and get into the Purebred french area..showing, selling, etc. OR buy an English Buck to breed to your does and got the English purebred route. (bucks tend to be less expensive I've noticed)

Harlequin is the name of her pattern. She is a Black Japanese for colour. She is very nice, shows a lot of promise. Senior coats are always way better then jr. coats so the better the junior coat..

those are fantastic! I have a friend who spins and shes asked about Angoras- We dont have the room really to start other buns. I bet they are dreamy to pet!

I hope you enjoy them!

Latest posts

Back