Doe with some blood on nose..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
We are having really hot weather--mid 90's and one doe is panting so hard she has a slight bloody nose. Thoughts? I have given her a frozen water btl for cooling; actually teh males get them all day to keep the "boys" on ice...

thx

Ladysown is right... That doe is in danger. An ice bottle is great, but she may need time in a better environment to recover. I'd bring her indoors if it is cooler there and give her a fan as well as the bottle.

Glad to hear she made it through!

Ilovebunnies found Thumper one day (when we'd forgotten to put the ice bottles out) breathing really fast, and he wasn't very responsive. Not unconscious, just moving his head just a little bit toward you instead of actively coming and looking for a scratch. She remembered reading in a book about taking the rabbit inside and holding ice cubes to the insides of its ears.

She couldn't bring him inside, but she sat him on her lap and held ice cubes inside his ears until they were gone. He just sat there and let her. A little while later, he was back to normal. I think she saved his life that day. :)

we have frozen 2 liter btls in most cages here and the farm. they get changed every 4-6 hours. Hers did two, but it really took time for her to slide up to it and cool down...

That's one nice thing about the bunny run - I use ice bottles too but when they are out - and I can now have 10 jw out at once- OMG .. they find breezes and shade and grass to nibble on and are quite content. I always feel badly for whoever is penned as they obviously feel the heat much more.

I don't know what we'd do without our huge weeping willow tree. It's always at least five degrees Celsius cooler in the summer rabbitry than anywhere else on the property. And there is almost always "a wind in our willows".

Ours is partly shaded by a crepe myrtle tree.

I'm so jealous of your willow, Maggie! They do grow here, but they don't get nearly as big as they do up there!

Latest posts

Back