Odds and Ends Pics of different stuff.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
Once a day is all I usually feed my herd. However, when a doe has a group of little ones this size, they'll empty the feeder before the next feeding. I used to make an extra trip in the early mornings just to fill these feeders up. The young are Cal/crosses.
SANY0046.jpg

Then, I came up with this idea. Build some removable extenders that can be switched from pen to pen where they are needed. It doubles the capacity of the feeder and the youngsters are never without feed. I just use the card-clip to clip the extender to the wire to stablize it.
SANY0047.jpg

When the youngsters begin coming out of the nest, I offer them a lower water source than I used to. I always felt they could find the water on their own. I've changed my mind. But, filling all of those water bottles is a pain in the backside. I made some changes in my water lines to allow me to fill up the bottles a lot easier. I've got six of these located in different places throughout my rabbitry.
SANY0048.jpg

I've got one on the end of each aisle between the rows in my grow out room. I don't have to take more than a few steps to reach a handy water valve to fill up the water bottles. The exposed end is champhered to easily slide into the neck of the water bottle. The other end is just "slip-fitted" into the valve. It is easily removed with a slight twist and downward pull.
SANY0055.jpg

I've got one of these on each end of my outside rows in my grow out room.
Knock on wood, I've not had any problems with these valves freezing in the winters.
SANY0054.jpg

Here's a pic of my water cabinet. It holds both barrels for the two different rooms. The small heater on the floor will keep the cabinet around 95-100 degrees during the winter. The yellow water hose is strung up through the rafters of the barn and over to my water source. It's set at an angle that automatically empties itself so it won't freeze.

Of course Boots had to check it all out.
SANY0052.jpg

Storage rack for my nestboxes above. It holds twenty boxes up and out of the way.
SANY0050.jpg

Below are my carriers and you can see the tattoo box behind the white bucket. Each barrel holds 100#'s of feed.
The grow-out room has another two barrels 200#'s in it. (saves steps that way)
SANY0051.jpg

Here's my work bench. Do all of my records and such right here.
SANY0049.jpg

Yeah, I know. That's a grungie old coffee cup!! Ain't it! I've had that old mug for close to twenty years.
It's cracked, beat-up, and abused. But, I'd be lost without it.

Grumpy.

Very nice, Grumpy.

I am all about convenience as well. Becoming truly streamlined is always a work in progress, but when each little step is completed, it makes me so happy! The time saved can be used for even more improvements. :p

The bunnybarn has an automated system thankfully, but my growout area doesn't. I just made water buckets with valves for my growout pens, so no longer have to fuss with bottles for them. It's a great time saver. :)

Gives me so many ideas. Trying to work out how to get water to the barn before the winter time.

Great ideas and such super organization, Grumpy. :)

As for your coffee cup... I have one I've been using since the late 70's. Nice English stoneware with - your guessed it! - wild rabbits on the side. It has a chip now, but it's still my favourite coffee cup.

Looks awesome! :D I wish my hubby had more time away from work to get things done like that!

Now you are scaring me Grumpy. What organization. Congratulations!

And also have a favorite coffee cup. If it doesn't have stains or cracks, it's not broke in yet.

And btw, where's the WiFi for the bunnies, lol.

Karen

ZRabbits":26xxmbyo said:

And also have a favorite coffee cup. If it doesn't have stains or cracks, it's not broke in yet.

Karen

Karen:

Give me time.....I'm workin' on it! LOL. After doing this for so many years, I should be "very-good" at it. I enjoy sharing my experiences with others so that they might be able to avoid some of the pit-falls I've dealt with.

Something as simple as those two cut-off nails under the front of a nest box, so the doe won't be able to move the box around, makes life a little easier and less stressful.

Little "tricks" make keeping rabbits more fun with less work.

grumpy.

Fantastic Grumpy!
I have just one idea that you might want to try.
It appears that you are using one liter soda Bottles,
have you ever tried using two liter Soda Bottles.
They work great and I often place two of them on a
cage with a large litter. I make holders from Cage wire scrapes.
Just thought I'd mention it. Your setup looks nice and clean.
I am always working on improvements in my rabbitry,
whenever I find something that I think might be an improvement.
It is a continual "Work in progress"! :D
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

grumpy":3kqxkmsh said:
ZRabbits":3kqxkmsh said:

Karen

Karen:

Give me time.....I'm workin' on it! LOL. After doing this for so many years, I should be "very-good" at it. I enjoy sharing my experiences with others so that they might be able to avoid some of the pit-falls I've dealt with.

Something as simple as those two cut-off nails under the front of a nest box, so the doe won't be able to move the box around, makes life a little easier and less stressful.

Little "tricks" make keeping rabbits more fun with less work.

grumpy.

You are very sweet to share your experience with others. People who are "very good" at something truly help those just starting out, avoid pitfalls. Make smart decisions. So true about little "tricks".

And can't wait to see your Wifi set up. Are you going tablets or I-phones. I think they offer the language paw. lol.

Karen

Thanks for all your great ideas grumpy. You might have mentioned it in other threads but is your watering system high or low pressure? I also just noticed from your pics that you used the back of your feeders for a card holder. I was wondering what the tabs were for. :idea: I wish I lived closer to you because I would sure like to see your rabbitry in person.

Thanks again
Tommy

Beekeeper10":2odp6pi0 said:
Thanks for all your great ideas grumpy. You might have mentioned it in other threads but is your watering system high or low pressure? I also just noticed from your pics that you used the back of your feeders for a card holder. I was wondering what the tabs were for. :idea: I wish I lived closer to you because I would sure like to see your rabbitry in person.

Thanks again
Tommy

Tommy:
The watering system is gravity fed with a submersible pump in each of the tanks. So, I would "say" they are low/pressure. The pumps don't have to be on during the warmer weather. However, I feel a little more comfortable with them running continuously, and here's why:

It's easier/quicker to fill up all of the additional water bottles I use for young kits coming out of the nest. Plus, the water never remains "static" because of the pumps moving the water along in the pipes. Of course, this is just my opinion, but with the water always running, the probability of bacteria building up may well be reduced. The pumps are rated at 350 GPH. However, with the "lift" they have to return the water to the barrel, I would guess they are probably running at 2/3 that amount.

I've only done this twice in the past 4 years but medicating the herd is another issue of getting a good mix on the water and getting the water to the herd at pretty much the same time. Gravity-fed-only, water systems take much longer to get the meds "OUT" to the stock.

I keep a small pump with a length of hose handy to mechanically drain the barrels every so often after I scrub them and sanitize them with a very small amount of bleach. Under each barrel, I have a shut-off valve that cuts off the water supply to the herd while I do this. Of course, I have to unplug the pumps. Otherwise, they'd "pop" themselves off of the pipe nipple in the bottom of the barrel due to increased back pressure.

The "tabs" on each of the cages are for short "self-notes" to myself. I have the doe's--DOB/Sire/Dam on it. If I find a certain mating to a certain buck produces an above average litter, I'll add a short note about that. If a doe has more young than I feel she can care for, I'll make myself a short note about "where" the extra kits have been fostered. Along with a note about which ear I have put an ink-spot tattoo in. The tabs hold a standard business sized card. I've got several boxes of old business cards that I write on the backs of these for my messages. When I select stock for replacement, I'll keep one of those small notes with them on their cage until I permenantly tattoo them.

Hope this helps answering some of your questions. If you're ever up this way on a trip, feel free to call and stop by.

Grumpy.

grumpy":lep2hjiw said:
Along with a note about which ear I have put an ink-spot tattoo in.

I was just thinking about this option yesterday. I was wondering if I tattooed a small dot or line in the ear of a very young kit (1-3 days old) that is going to be fostered to another doe how noticeable it would be at weaning when I tattoo the litters. I don't want a big blotch that will affect the look of the final tattoo.

MamaSheepdog":2ekj6goc said:
grumpy":2ekj6goc said:
Along with a note about which ear I have put an ink-spot tattoo in.

I was just thinking about this option yesterday. I was wondering if I tattooed a small dot or line in the ear of a very young kit (1-3 days old) that is going to be fostered to another doe how noticeable it would be at weaning when I tattoo the litters. I don't want a big blotch that will affect the look of the final tattoo.

They are very faint.....hardly noticeable at all.

grumpy.

Latest posts

Back