Fed vs. Unfed Kit Pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll go see if I can man handle her into it. The other doe is only 23 days along but is BIG and has her milk in already, so I think she's going to be really early.

I tried it in the cage and she about kicked him out of my hand so I tried again pinning her upside down in a plywood box and got it done. At first it was so hungry it couldn't decide on a nipple but finnaly settled down and nursed for 4 minutes or so. I guess this is my new morning and night chore for a few days.<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:16 pm __________<br /><br />Thanks Maggie

Thank you so much! I just had my first litter of mini Rex and wasn't sure if one was getting fed enough. According to these pictures he looks good

I fed that kit 3 times flipping the doe and it's been full ever since :) thanks for your help, Maggie!

This is very helpful! I have a doe who is a first timer and this way i can make sure she is taking good care of them :)

I haven't bred rabbits, but I'm looking into it...
What do you mean mean by flipping the doe over? I know that my doe hates being picked up- she'll kick and squirm- so how do you get a rabbit onto its back? And I heard someone mention stroking its forehead...? How do you hold the rabbit so you don't hurt it? Thanks!

Hi WildWolf,

First, welcome to Rabbit Talk!

As for flipping a doe, it is just as it sounds. With a doe that struggles, you will have to gain control of her first. I find that a football-type hold in one arm with a hand supporting her behind her front elbows works pretty well as long as the back legs are below your arm. A long sleeved, heavy shirt also helps protect your arms/skin :D Also, putting the baby to be fed in a small box or tub with something soft that you can set next to you is helpful.

Once you have her settled down, and you are sitting down, move her to your lap, facing you and gently tip her backwards. If she starts to kick and struggle, I find that holding her with both hands around her body under her front elbows is a good restraining hold that allows you to simply lift and extend your arms to keep her back feet from kicking you. Remember, she isn't doing this to be mean or bad, but because she is a prey animal and scared to death. Just go slow and let her struggle in each position until she quits. Do not let her get her back feet/claws into you or your shirt as once she has a purchase, she can flip herself out of your hold if it isn't firm enough :lol:

Once she has quit struggling and you have her on her back with her head at your knees, gently hold her chest down with one hand, being mindful of where her back feet are, and stroke her forehead from her nose to her ears with a couple of fingertips until she trances. Once you think she is tranced, try moving one of her feet very gently and if it will stay in the position you move it to, she is tranced. Any sudden movement can bring her out of it, and sometimes it takes a couple of times for the deeper trance to set in, so, again, go slowly and keep stroking.

When the doe is tranced and will stay that way for a minute or so, take the kit out and place it on the middle of the doe's belly. The kit will find the teat and latch on. I find that it is easier for me to slip the doe in between my legs so that the kit will not fall off her, and a towel keeps her fur from covering me :D The kit will go from teat to teat until the doe lets her milk down, so don't give up if the kit doesn't get anything the first time. Try again in a couple of hours ... closer to when she nurses the litter.

If you have more than 2 that need supplemental feedings, you might have better luck if you remove all the larger kits from the nest until after you see "milk bellies" on the smallest ones, then put the larger ones back.

Another good time to supplement kits is 12 hours after the doe nurses the litter ... she has milk again and can nurse the litter 2x per day ... my meat rabbit doe will nurse 2x per day the first week (now that she is experienced)

thanks for that info. I just started raising rabbits after doing it when I was a kid which was more just feeding them. and a long time ago. I've got a new doe that is getting ready to kit. I've always been told don't get in there with the babies that the mother will kill them. So I've been worried about sticking my hands in there with the babies esp. when she has them.

How long will new born kit last without food? I am on Day 3 now and my new mom doesn't seem to be feeding her kits much if any at all. I put them in my other does box (I bring kits inside during day so 8 hours to "get the scent" I also plan to put some Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on her nose (she normally has 9 kits so no extra stress on her with the extra 3 kits).

The only thing I wonder is if I should bring the new mama inside in the hopes she will notice the hungry kits and feed them.

You can skip the coconut oil because the scent thing is all old wives tales. Go by the bellies; she probably won't nurse in front of you and only 1 or 2 times a day for under 15 minutes. Having the box in with the mom at night should be enough time.

IF the bellies are wrinkled and sunken first thing in the morning, try flipping the doe as AnnClaire described earlier :)

Well they been wrinkly and over all I have never seen them "full" like my other does kits (fat bellies 24/7). I will just filter into her liter and rebreed my other doe again. This was her first liter so I didn't expect the kits to be in the box alive to be honest.

I don't know if these pictures help or show a clear belly but they are fat and doing very well, this momma is known to have creamy milk :D

Maggiej--
I just wanted to say thank you for this post and picture it is awesome!! Had to flip doe last night and feed kits. They look so much better this morning. When i went out this morning she was feeding them. Will check them tonight and see if i need to flip her.
Thank you again
Tracie

I just got 2 kits and I haven't looked at their bellies but their backs r wrinkly? Im afraid they arent getting food but they were just born last night or this morning. Should they still not look wrinkly?

BunnyGirl, you need to see their bellies. Look at the pictures in this thread again so you know what to look for. Then take them out of the nest one at a time. They will squirm but that's okay... The air feels a bit cool to them because the nest is so warm. You need to get used to handling them anyway. I know they seem fragile, but they are really quite tough.

Back