Is it possible to develop a red Silver Marten?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Star Rabbitry

Reaction score
Is it possible to develop a red Silver Marten? I would like to work on these in the future, but someone said that it is not genetically possible because,

1. The marten gene (chin) removes all red from the coat.

2. Red is made with the dominant agouti gene while silver marten is a tan pattern.

She said that orange is the closest thing I could get to a red Silver Marten.

Is this true? All I know about color genetics is the basics. :blush:

Emily

Orange and red are the same thing just used in different breeds in different ways.The closest you will get is if you use tort and get a tort otter. Red/orange rabbits already have the light belly and eyes circles etc. so almost look otter anyways!

OMG - a light bulb
otter have white tummies - cool I have some otters then ;)

umm I'd call them black with whiter bellies

now here I was thinking I had black silver maretens or somesuch ....

<shaking head>

Brody":3hk7sfof said:
OMG - a light bulb
otter have white tummies - cool I have some otters then ;)

umm I'd call them black with whiter bellies

now here I was thinking I had black silver maretens or somesuch ....

<shaking head>

Just to confuse you a little farther, "otter" is a pattern. An "otter" rabbit has the 'at' gene as dominant on the 'A' locus. A black silver marten is an "otter" whose red colouration has been suppressed by the chinchilla gene on the 'C' locus.

Otters also have a little tan triangle at the back of their neck near the shoulders.The inside ears is tan also as well as a bit around the nostrils. This is all a beautiful silver white when the chin gene shows and takes away the tan.

Latest posts

Back