Poo In Potted Plants

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
A couple of my house plants are due to be transplanted, as they've done very well outdoors this year. I was thinking of putting a layer of bunny poop just below the root ball in the new pot, but am worried the plant will smell bad. Anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions? It would be straight poop out of my shop vac, the turds that missed the litter box, so no litter or hay or urine.

Well, I can tell you it doesn't smell bad. I put it on the top of the soil one day while tidying up... and it didn't break down :/ Perhaps I'll repot soon and put some under the roots.

I was thinking of doing more or less the same thing when I pot up the rosemary and sage plants for the winter. I used bunny berries in the pots one other time, but didn't bury them under the soil, just mixed them in. That didn't work so well because I ended up with tiny flies in the house. I doubt that would happen though if the poop was buried. I don't recall any bad smell from them.

Ohh, didn't even think of flies. Well, I've got tons of potting soil, maybe I should just do it and let everyone know how it goes. If it turns bad, repot again before they come in for the winter, lol.

When I repot, I add a layer of new soil, freshly pulled grasses/weeds, top with guinea pig poop[they are indoors, I don't keep rabbit poop around] and then add more new soil. Then add the plant after I loosen the roots from it's old dirt. Add new dirt on top and around.

As long as the poops don't stay wet and soggy, they shouldn't smell. Sometimes I just add poops to my Palm right on the top of the soil. No smell from them, no smell from the hanging Asparagus fern in the kitchen either.

I had them years ago in a few pots of Pothos, and no bunny poo was involved!

Latest posts

Back