Register

reviewing breeders?

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

reviewing breeders?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby uumom2many » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 am

I wasn't sure where to put this so just let me know if I shoudl delete it from here and move it. I'm looking at getting 2 new does monday and was wondering if there was a site or place where people reviewed breeders? Even positive reviews. I'm looking to spend A LOT of money and just want to cover my bases so to speak. I found the breeder on craigs list, they have a very meager website but that's about it. she's been terrific so far, sending me great photos of the bunnies and everything and i am also looking at doing a spinning class and buying a wheel then too.
Crystal
Mom of 7 homeschooled kids age 7 and under, homesteading wannabe living in the city. Married to a military tech man. Raising three Angora bunnies and a Lab/Border Collie mix.

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Re: reviewing breeders?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 am

If you are talking about buying Angoras for their wool production, this topic would get more readers if posted in the Wool Rabbits and Fibre Arts forum. If you are looking for advice on breed standards, with a view to selling breeding or show stock, it might do better in the Breed Discussions forum. In either case, perhaps you could add some detail about what you want from these rabbits and perhaps some pictures. It will help us to help you decide.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,330.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby HendricksHearth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:51 am

As far as I know there is no place online for breeders to be reviewed. I am sure part of it is that it would be so dynamic and ever-changing to manage that it could become a full-time job for the person responsible for it and also there could be issues with he said/she said, lawsuits, etc.

If you are really concerned, just ask the breeder for the contacts of some people that have purchased from her. Or possibly even contact some other angora breeders and ask them for a reference.

You can find some good folks off craigslist, but you can also find some really shady ones. If I were you, I would also be checking the market value of the breed- you shouldn't be paying top-dollar unless you are getting pedigreed showable rabbits with excellent quality fiber IMHO. Wheels are also pretty expensive- have you been using a drop spindle in the meantime to make sure it is something you really enjoy doing? I really wanted a wheel until I realized that I didn't love spinning all that much. I love raising and harvesting the wool AND the finished product, but I am not big on the actual spinning process and my fingers weren't a fan of the frequent feel of the fiber, either unfortunately.

Best of luck,

Lauren

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 990.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby AprilW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:35 pm

You really need to know what you want from the rabbits. Are they for exhibition, wool, pets?? If they are for exhibition then you must have some knowledge of the breed standard to compare the rabbit to. If the rabbits are for wool then feel the wool and ensure it is proper quality. Pets - examin for health and temperament.

I believe that you can tell a lot about a breeder just by looking at their rabbits. Are the rabbits of good type? Do the rabbits appear both clean and healthy? Are the rabbits very skittish or calm when you handle them? Since these are angoras is the coat matted or well cared for? The breeder should be willing to answer your questions and provide you with information - which is seems they have.

http://rabbitsite.bravehost.com/article_exam.html This is an article about looking over a rabbit before you buy it.
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits