Just another quiet day at our place...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Bright and windy day, perfect to pick the red currants and blackberries that are beginning to ripen. So I did that this morning, then picked them over and put them in the freezer (except for some blackberries that went on my breakfast yogourt. YUM!) Got about 1 1/4 pounds and that's just a beginning. I'll keep picking and freezing until the berries are finished and then I'll make my very popular hedgerow jam: a combination of red and black currants, raspberries, blackberries and gooseberries... all the small fruits available.

Then it was time to pull some weeds in the veggie garden. The pigweed and lamb's quarters are growing like they are on steroids due to all the bunny manure, but with all the rain they are easy to pull. Brian and I gathered pulled them by the armload and also scored about 4 gallons of purslane, mallow, dandelions etc. for the bunnies' breakfast.

Well, the day is still breezy and the air quality is good, so I'm feeling pretty energetic for a change. Humidity and pollution make me feel eighty years old, but today I don't feel a day over 60. (I hit the big six-oh next month.) So I decide to quit procrastinating and cull Polly, our big black doe who has been less than productive. Brian and I went down to the goose house to get her.

Patrick, our gander, decides that Willow (our broody goose) needs protection from us. So he stands guard right in front of her nest and we can't get by to get Polly out of her cage.

Maggie gets a little impatient here and decides to take him by his neck and steer him out the pop-hole. So I lean over and Patrick stops hissing long enough to latch onto the nearest part of my anatomy. (Did I mention I wasn't wearing a bra?) And he won't let go! I finally pry him off and push him out, gt Polly, do the deed and proceed to process her.

But I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and goose bill marks clearly showing where they will be hard to explain. Quick! I need a story. Because my doctor looks like a city girl and I doubt she'll believe the truth.

I love country life.

LOL! I hope that doesn't hurt too much. E gads! I can't even beging to think of anything better than what actually happened. I wonder if she takes that whole patient confidentiality thing totally seriously, or if she'll have big stories for her dh?

All in all, it sounds like a good day! And I had no idea you were near 60. I envisioned you at 35 or 40. Must be all that spunk you exude. Wish my 36 yo self had that much!

Well, thank you, Paula! That makes me feel... younger! :D

Maybe you missed it, but my son, David (our MidnightCoder) just had his 35th birthday last week. Now that made me feel old.

I pace myself. I work for awhile and then come in and put my feet up and check out the forums. Then I go and tackle something else. But I'm not a high energy person.

Actually, the bite hardly hurts at all. I'm surprised, because he really latched on, but obviously he didn't use the full force of his jaws. He's really a nice gander, just doing his job a bit too zealously. He is very fond of both his wives. :)

:rotfl:

Let me see...
Uhhhh...
Uh...

Nope, I just can't think of anything better either, Maggie! I tried! Maybe Ann can come up with something. :p

And I thought you were in your mid to late 40s myself! :) I figured David was in his early to mid 20s. :D I knew about his birthday, but didn't notice which one it was!

you made my hubby laugh.... (out loud even). :) Thanks!

but hmm... a good story...

the one you just told. :) make that doctor laugh!

Elsie (for those that do not know, this is the goose that was so lame awhile ago that she could not walk) is doing quite well. She still has a bit of a limp. I had backed off on the Vitamin B, but I think I'll give her some every few days for awhile and see if we can get rid of that. Willow (our other goose) is still on the nest. Never did get the eggs candled... so if they are viable, we should see some goslings soon.

Just say to the Doc "What, you've never had a goose hickey?" :lol:

Just be happy your name isn't Leda :p

Back