Clipping nails, very important job

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up a rabbit who was...not friendly. We decided to clip her nails first thing and found she'd torn two of them down to the quick because they were so long. (she'd gotten at least one of them caught in my arm as she struggled...I found the piece of nail IN my arm like a thorn. The other, I think she caught in the cage)

One of those things that can be forgotten, is often hard to do alone, but is just plain good maintenance.

The colony rabbits seems to wear their nails down quite nicely, so I've not had to worry much about them, but caged buns....my goodness.

I've found a couple of things help. One...someone else holds them :lol: but, that's not really necessay. If a bunny is not used to being handled, I've been wrapping them in a towel, laying upside down on my lap, and clipping. They don't struggle in the towel.

If they don't struggle, or once they get used to giving you a hand (so to speak) a quick "hold bunny on lap; take paw; press claw out; SNIP SNIP SNIP and you're done. I've been doing my guys every couple of months.

The other thing that works REALLY well (except I can never find the dern thing) is the Pedi-paws. For some reason the rabbits don't mind the whirrrrr sound. It's a battery powered sanding disc. A quick sanding and they're done. AND the nails don't have any rough edges which can sometimes happen with a clipper.

Any other ways to clip? or thoughts on it? I'm always open to ideas and new ways to do things.

i train mine to sit in my lap to do three nails and then a quick flip for most on their bum to do the last. I rarely have to lay a rabbit out flat (I dislike having to do so as I hate being confined myself). :)

Back