OMG his NAIL fell off!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uumom2many

Reaction score
I was trimming Duncan my Angora and he jumped from my lap and I didn't notice right then but when I put him back in his cage he was bleeding! His entire nail was hanging from his foot and bleeding.

I dont' know what to do! Will it close up on its own, he's licking and tending it (and smearing blood all over his white coat which makes him look rabid) but will that be okay? Will it heal on it's own? will it grow back?

Is it just the nail or the whole toe? If it is the nail that is hanging, might be best just to use your usual cutters to take it off at the break. If you have some of that powder to stop bleeding, I think you could use that. The bleeding will likely stop fairly soon but you don't want him to catch the loose part on anything else and make it worse. You could bandage it, but he will likely chew it off.

it looks like the entire nail, not the toe I don't think. He's skittish and won't let me get close to see. It looks like when he jumped off me maybe the nail got caught on something and ripped off. He wasn't really scared when he did it but I let him go to AVOID injury to both him and me.

I'm just really freaked, this is the first time anything like this has happened.

By now the bleeding should have pretty much stopped. It's bound to be sore, but it's not likely a serious injury. Could be a problem if you intended to show him if the nail does not grow back.

As long as the wound does not get infected, he should be okay.

he's for fiber, not showing so we're good on that. I checked on him this morning and he's moving around, doesn't seem to be favoring the leg at all and he's cleaned himself off all the blood. He looked like a derranged carnivore with blood smeared all over his mouth and nose.

I think it'll be okay but if he does get an infection what to do? Take him to the vet?

This just happened with Pearl today! I guess her nail got caught in the wire. It stopped bleeding very quickly. I'll confess that I haven't done anything but eyeball the injury, since it quit bleeding quickly and because I'm trying to breed her... so she's already somewhat mad at me. :(

What I could see didn't look that bad...

thanks everyone! And thanks Miss M letting me know I'm not horrible for this happening! Or that he has some exotic rabbit disease that makes his nails pop off. (I'm a tad paranoid.) It's been a week and he's doing great! Granted I have to look at his feet from under the cage cause he's pissed at me but I see nothing bad when I do get a peek.

Latest posts

Back