Probiotics?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I've been seeing more and more about probiotics lately. Not only for restoring flora, but many are claiming that they increase milk production in does, faster growth rates and I am thinking it would be a great aid in helping prevent enteritis (I've yet to experience it, but I'm sure down the line...).

Currently, I am very happy with the feed we are using. We are buying it at the 2 ton mark, and splitting it between some of the local breeders. Everyone is happy with the price, so I don't think that anyone is going to be interested in finding out about having it added to the feed (even if the mill would at that quantity).

So, my question is, is there something that can be added to their water as a supplement, rather than something that is given as a cure? Can anyone direct me to a brand, so that I can see what is in it? I have acidopholis (sp?) that I give the kids if they get stuck having to take antibiotics or get a tummy ache, so I'm curious what sorts of cultures are used for rabbits as well.

When I feel someone needs some probiotics, I use Acid-Pak 4-Way which is actually electrolytes, enzymes, pre-biotics and pro-biotics (hence the name 4-way). I don't use it continuously because I'd like to raise rabbits who don't NEED a lot of supplements/medicine/coddling to get to fryer age - but I do keep it on hand for those emergencies where I can't afford to lose a lot of rabbits and a small boost is not going to hurt the overall immune-resistant tendencies.

If you google Acid-Pak 4-Way, you get a LOT of info which I won't copy and paste here. :)

I have also used Benebac in the past. It is strictly probiotics ((Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei) and comes in a tube format. It seemed to work well, but I like the water-soluble Acid-Pak better.

Maggie posted last week about problems with cows milk (and yogurt) being fed to rabbits. I can see using it in small quantities if problems arise, but not on a continual basis. Here is the post: important-information-and-rabbits-and-cow-s-milk-t943.html

I had seen somewhere else that probiotics increase the milk production in a doe by up to 20%, and some folks are having it put into their feed, along with yucca. I would like to find something that I can use in their water, and try it on a couple of rabbits, just to see the results. I'm not totally sure I buy into the idea, but am extremely curious.

Probiotics baffle me, because I don't see how the bacteria survive the stomach. I guess some of them must get through. In the bird realm, there is talk of using probiotics that are specific to birds. That is, beneficial bacteria that are cultured from birds (not yogurt). Also, if probiotics are added to water it must be unchlorinated water--otherwise the chlorine does what it is supposed to do and kills the bacteria.

Is there any research on whether or not probiotics, and which specific bacteria, work for rabbits?

I am also a horticulturist (my career for 43 years) and probiotics are used in container plants to help roots defend against disease. The beneficial bacteria or fungus don't defeat any disease, they just help keep disease from becoming established. If the disease is there already probiotics don't seem to help much.

Back