Tanning angora?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMelisse

Reaction score
Has anyone tried tanning angora pelts? I'm planning to butcher about five rabbits when they get to be 12-16 weeks old and I would like to use the pelts as well. I'm just concerned that the type of fur/wool on an angora pelt would felt up in the process...
Anyone have experience with this?

Nope. I thought felting occurred with pounding the fibers, or high heat? You might search how to process lamb or angora goat (mohair) pelts and see what process they use.

I've searched tanning angora specifically and only found one site, but it sounded like general tanning so I'm not sure if it's different or not. I know felting involves friction. But I've felted in hot or cold water so that's what really concerns me.

Our kids are going to VBS this week, and I have a friend that raised angoras that will be dropping her kids off as well- I think she has tanned a hide or two. I will ask her about it and report back.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am __________<br /><br />Okay- my friend only salted the hides, and rolled them up. Once dry, she unrolled them and brushed off the salt. One is a wall hanging, the other is a muff. She says that the skin is so thin that it is pliable. The rabbits were over a year old when they were processed. She says that the skin is a little rough, and suggests backing with felt. I have also read that you can rub them with a pumice stone or use sandpaper to smooth them.

She just salted them? Didn't use a tanning solution of any sort? I would think the skin would get crispy and gross without being treated. I'm planning on sewing the pelts into some different things: purse, muff, jacket collar... etc.

Just passing on what she did, since she is the only person I know that ever tried to process an angora pelt.

I think using a solution would be better, too- basically she made rawhide. But since the muff doesn't get much use, it has held up well.

You might want to freeze most of yours, and "sacrifice" one- if you cut one pelt into several pieces, you could try different methods to see what works best.

I would be interested to hear about the results. I have one pelt rolled up in my freezer, but I plucked beforehand. I was thinking when I have a few more, I would tan it and either get all the fur off of it, or use a trimmer to make it even. I hadn't considered the possibility of felting, though!

These will be younger rabbits... about 12-16 weeks old. I'm trying to find the perfect medium between good weight (meat) and thicker skin (for pelts).

Latest posts

Back