Dog food is so expensive... If I bred small show rabbits....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I started in rabbits again was so I could feed my dogs & my breeders dogs. I own the rabbits, equipment & do the breeding and the rabbits are at my breeders acreage & she does the feeding. Any mortalities in the nest boxes go to whichever dog is closest.

__________ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00
I give a seaweed meal supplement & the dogs don't graze when the y get it

3mina":1vo7lasw said:
Any mortalities in the nest boxes go to whichever dog is closest.

We have one dog who is a dedicated raw feeder and gulps the dead kits down- otherwise I give them to the barncats or the chickens... whoever gets them I make it a point to look the other way!

I'm planning on attempting to move my cats over to a raw diet, will probably cost more than buying meat in s omight just keep the rabbits for our consumption as I only like eating the 'higher welfare' meat anyway so works out about the same (although I'm working on bringing my costs down with more natural foods, sadly paying almost the cost of the feed itself on postage as I don't drive >.<)

Would love to know how well its working out for others (not just cats but any carnivore) as still in the early stages of working it all out

Its been 6 weeks since I posted this and since I've gotten some rabbits and now, I'm all attached to them. Whenever I pick them up to put them in their rabbit run- I kiss their cute little heads, tell them they are good, good, rabbits, and sing them the Eww Boo rabbit song. So, my dog food plans have gone right out the window. Wish I could have rabbits for meat but I can't keep myself from making them into pets— they are just too friggin cute. Maybe I should get some uglier animals for meat like some really ugly chickens. What's the ugliest animal that is good for meat, that's what I should get for my dogs.

MamaSheepdog":1r5ztice said:
3mina":1r5ztice said:
Any mortalities in the nest boxes go to whichever dog is closest.

We have one dog who is a dedicated raw feeder and gulps the dead kits down- otherwise I give them to the barncats or the chickens... whoever gets them I make it a point to look the other way!

Me too, I give them to the barncats but I just cannot watch them eat them...*shudder*

squidpop":1fzgn8dq said:
Its been 6 weeks since I posted this and since I've gotten some rabbits and now, I'm all attached to them. Whenever I pick them up to put them in their rabbit run- I kiss their cute little heads, tell them they are good, good, rabbits, and sing them the Eww Boo rabbit song. So, my dog food plans have gone right out the window. Wish I could have rabbits for meat but I can't keep myself from making them into pets— they are just too friggin cute. Maybe I should get some uglier animals for meat like some really ugly chickens. What's the ugliest animal that is good for meat, that's what I should get for my dogs.

I kiss and hug them too, right before I send them to camp. My dogs are cuter :mrgreen:

There are quite a few ugly chickens around, makes them a bit easier to turn into dogs food. But I found that after watching what chickens eat, I could not see myself eating any of them.

Chickens smell funky when butchered too. Rabbits are much more pleasant to deal with.

Why don't you get NZ's or Cals- they look so similar that I think it would be harder to keep track of the "favorites". You can process them at any size too- if you want doggy meal-sized portions, just do the deed when they are younger.

I could care less what the chickens eat! Does that make me strange?

*Snide comments to the effect of "No, it's not that which makes you strange, MSD." will be studiously ignored! :lol:

MamaSheepdog":30v6ea4c said:

*Snide comments to the effect of "No, it's not that which makes you strange, MSD." will be studiously ignored! :lol:

Not at all. Besides, I think we all are a little strange, that's what makes us fun. I don't eat eggs anyway.

And remember, I'm the girl who butchers for her dogs but can't eat the meat because I can't eat what I've handled...

Saiyuri":31w686yz said:
I'm planning on attempting to move my cats over to a raw diet, will probably cost more than buying meat in s omight just keep the rabbits for our consumption as I only like eating the 'higher welfare' meat anyway so works out about the same (although I'm working on bringing my costs down with more natural foods, sadly paying almost the cost of the feed itself on postage as I don't drive >.<)

Would love to know how well its working out for others (not just cats but any carnivore) as still in the early stages of working it all out

I switched my ferrets over easily, their kibble was 3/4 chicken anyway. They love raw, same with my dogs.

MamaSheepdog":2vle93c7 said:

I don't care what the chickens eat either MSD. I know I like eating them. I love fried chicken, baked chicken, rotissere (sp?) chicken, ..... ok time for an after supper snack.

I love their eggs- I'll take an egg that holds its shape over one that runs all over the pan any day. Store-bought eggs are just gross in my opinion!

MamaSheepdog":lgjmayhl said:
I love their eggs- I'll take an egg that holds its shape over one that runs all over the pan any day. Store-bought eggs are just gross in my opinion!

I love them too. I grew up on them. They taste like home to me lol.

Getting a flock going is my next development for the farm after I get my rabbitry like I want it. Right now I think I am going with barred plymoth rock.

themangoavenger":31x8z3d2 said:
They're already ahead of you on that.

Poor naked buns! :lol: Interesting that they have better thermo regulatation than furred bunnies. Those of us that have cold winters would have to knit little angora sweaters for them!

:hmm: MSD: Breeder of quality Rex, Angora, and Nekkid Rabbits...

toastedoat37":3ss091sh said:
sky, what do you eat,,,,no rabbit, no chicken, no eggs?,,,,,,how about steak and pork chops?
I eat very little meat. I HATE to cook, most of what I eat comes out of a bag, prepared meals, whatever I don't have to cook. I don't even have a stove. I freely admit my dogs eat better than I do. I will eat at restaurants, seafood and very well done steak.

Back