Nest Box Material

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Anyone ever use anything besides, hay or straw to put in the nest box? Have a couple does due this weekend, out of hay and straw, & the avilaible stuff is wet.

There is some thought that the resins in cedar are unhealthy for rabbits. I don't know how true it is, but most rabbit care books and sites suggest using pine or aspen instead.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm __________<br /><br />

I've always used a layer of pine bedding and then a layer of hay or straw. Like you, I was out of hay or straw the last go-around when it was nestbox time. I had some shredded newspaper and the does used it up just the same as the straw. It made for a much softer nest when mixed with the pulled fur. My only complaint was the balck newsprint that got left on my white rabbits' feet/face (the mothers, not the kits).

I do the same as Lyndsey with pine shavings and hay. I would do the shavings and add the newspaper.

I use a wire nestbox & put a piece of cardboard on the bottom & grass hay on top. I like the idea of paper though...we have a shredder at work & it is filled with white copier paper all the time....

Six is due any second now (day 31) :bouncy: and she is currently ripping the cardboard to shreds & flattening & rearranging the hay...can I assume they'll be born tonight?

Latest posts

Back