Cage question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aileen

Reaction score
I found a wooden/chicken wire object set out for the trash and took it home. A friend is helping me modify it into 3 very spacious cages. I was going to put down linoleum, but an acquaintance who raised rabbits for many years says its better to let the urine soak into the wood as lineoleum would have the rabbits walking through their wastes. Seems logical - if unsanitary - to me, but I'm hoping to litter tran them.

Opinions?

If you have a solid floor of any kind, you need litter to absorb the mess. Rabbits are pretty easy to litter train, however. A plastic dishpan with a couple inches of shavings is usually all it takes. :)

If you're going to try the litter box method and you use litter on the floor, I would try the linoleum. You can wash it and disinfect easier than wood.

I wouldn't let the urine soak in; that would encourage the growth of all kinds of nasty organisms. You can get a plastic dishpan really cheap at Dollar General or the like.

Feline Pine (and its equivalents) works very nicely as litter for rabbit litter boxes. You pour it in to about 1.5-2" deep, and add a paper towel soaked in their urine. Make sure the rest of the floor is clean before putting the pan in. You just scoop the soaked clods of litter every day or so, and mix the rest - even the stuff that's damp. It breaks down into sawdust, and absorbs very nicely. Add a little more litter when it gets a bit low, and change the whole pan every so often. Works nicely! :)

Thanks everyone. Miss M, I never heard of Feline Pine. Is it a scooopable litter? I was told not to use cat litter as it has potentially toxic substances. Would wood shavings work as well?

sahvings on long coats can get stuck - my preference for litter pans is grass hay or chopped straw ... I actually dry long lawn clippings and box them for the winter too

Back