I fixed the fly problem-is it a safe fix?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
Ok, so the flies are gone, not totally and not with out some daily work, but there are no longer clouds of flies on the carport or in the windows.

First, I was changing and rinsing the pans once a week, sweeping, hanging fly traps and sticky tape, leaving vanilla scented air fresheners in the barn.
Here's what I did differently.

1. I exchanged the wood shavings for peat moss.
2. I stopped emptying the water crocks into the trays and started taking them outside to pour and rinse.
3. I took the crocks away and everyone got bottles.
4. I replaced every dish with a J feeder, (I have ones that have metal punched screen not wire mesh).
5. I bought the horse spray, sprayed it on dogs, sides of doors, post, window screens.
6. I found the barn lime and I sprinkle it in the corners behind the stackers, just in case.
7. I bought a pyrethrin livestock powder, and I powder the trays with a top coat.

I am a bit worried that the powder may cause a problem with the dogs, but to be honest, I probably should do more to keep the dogs from eating the bunny poo out of the tubs anyway.

This is very effective, the flies dropped from more than 75 to 5 or six within hours. I hope it's relatively safe.

I'm hoping

What a lot of good suggestions for controlling flies! :goodjob: I can't comment on the spray or powder since I am not familiar with the products, but it sounds like they are working well for you.

I am trying fly preditors for the first time this year. So far so ok LOL I clean daily, spred Diatomaceous earth and lime periodically, I do use water bottles for most of the rabbits and dishes with kits that are just starting to drink. NOW if I can just get rid of cats Id be happy lol

Cindi Davis":2rnwtkbv said:
I am trying fly preditors for the first time this year. So far so ok LOL I clean daily, spred Diatomaceous earth and lime periodically, I do use water bottles for most of the rabbits and dishes with kits that are just starting to drink. NOW if I can just get rid of cats Id be happy lol

I'd like to get rid of the cats too. Phoenix loves to eat cat poop :(

The DE just wasn't working for me this time. I had to get lethal! Fly predators were a bit out of my price range, I've already spent nearly all of my summer money, spent Phoenix's dog show money and I'm dipping into the fixing car money.

Latest posts

Back