enteritis--mom too?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
Arghh, I have a litter of 5 that 3 are showing asa well as momma

three weeks + and one of our best litters. I am so bummed. I put one down, two are separated, the last two with mom. She shows diarhea too. same feed etc. as all buns and same regimen all year?!

what gives? I am so sad as this was shaping up to be an amazing litter---great size, milking by mom etc. now--literally flushed.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 pm __________<br /><br />arhh I now have one put down, two in really bad shape and 4 others with runny butts. Mom also show some and isn't eating or drinking.

Feed?
Weather?

I am at a loss as nothing has changed in our daily routine. Her ears are very cold---usually our buns have warm ears.

Is this the same litter as before or a different one?

It does sound like it could be coccidiosis, the intestinal kind. For simple diarrhea, the plants I mentioned before are helpful and will certainly do no harm, but it begins to sound like you may have a bigger problem here.

The first topic on this page deals with protozoal infections such as cocci and may be helpful:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Parasite/P ... s_main.htm

with enteritis you tend to get sloshy sounding kits and it rarely hits with adults. Adults that stop eating and get diarrhea tends to more be other issues such as coccidia, sometimes getting wool block. If the whole kit and kaboodle is sick, I'd start thinking bigger problem than enteritis issues.

this is one cage. one kit has clear mucous the others have diarhea. other cages etc are fine; they did have some greens...<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:11 am __________<br /><br />so, this am: all are alive. two seemed to have cleared up. two are still a little runny and the one with clear stools is the same.

One potential issue: these rabbits are in our only wooden hutch. we have had a lot of rain and warm weather. I am wondering if this could be part of the issue. all the other rabbits are in wire cages with pans and they are cleaned everyother day.

The wooden hutch plus rain could be contributing to the problem. Can you move them?

Did you try the raspberry/blackberry/strawberry leaves or the plantain or shepherd's purse?

I find it a little difficult to make suggestions when you give us so little information.

MaggieJ":31bck6e5 said:
I find it a little difficult to make suggestions when you give us so little information.

Gee, Maggie, I think you're asking for a lot :p I got an email on Monday that said: "One of my kits died. What do you think caused it?" :roll:

LOL, Moonkitten... Yeah, that's me... soooooo demanding.

Better too much informaton than too little, folks. We can skim if it doesn't seem relevant, but minimalist posts mean we have to ask umpteen questions, wait for answers that are often not forthcoming, then give advice. By then it is probably too late.

Ok--I moved all of them to a solid wire cage with oats, hay fresh water and some raspberry. Moms butt looks normal, several of the kits have the runs, but are eating hay, drinking and eating raspberry leaves. the one white kit has clear mucous; I am not hopeful for her.

I will be moving the other litter and mom out of the wood hutch tonight. We also have had a lot of slugs in the wood hutch--obviously i clear them out; would their slime be poisonous?

The wood hutch will be going; it was a holdover from our first buns. I liked the size: 40"x30" and they did too. We have had such severe rain that it finally got soaked; usually the house shielded it, but the rain came from the north instead hence it got wet.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:31 am __________<br /><br />So the entire group is alive and frankly the bottoms of most are pink and clean. Even the white kit with clear mucous yesterday is looking better. I gave a lot of hay last night, most of which was eaten. the mom is the one with runny poop; she is larthargic and not eating. the kits are hopping around, nibbling and playing. Not sure how this is going to end up.

Sounds like ME. Treat for coccidia,and alao check your feed for corn. If it has corn in it, take them off of it. A whole bunch of people lost a lot of rabbits to corn mold toxins last year. they all died of bloat and ME. feed the surviving kits some fecal s from a healthy rabbit. It will help bring them out of it. also get them on pro bios like acid pack, or fast tracks.

chinbunny1":234i3gf4 said:
feed the surviving kits some fecal s from a healthy rabbit. It will help bring them out of it.

I am amazed at how often this works ... Franklin has issues eating his ceacals on occasion - he can't reach there very well ....

I grab the earliest poop I can from Niobe or Puff (once I had to actually put poor Niobe in a cone so I could get HIS ceacals) mash it with a little bit of banana (usually) and syringe it into Franklin

only had to do it a couple of times but it is a very useful trick

sorry you are dealing with this, we have all spring. the article at show bunny is right on. we have tried all kinds of different things, no one knows why it shows up, but injecting water under the skin, reglan syrup(from vet) and probiotics and gas drops along with tetracycline in the water seems to have pulled some of ours thru. good luck

Back