Lemongrass oil for mosquito control.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
Howdy everyone.

So i bought an aerosol spray that has a 3% lemon grass oil as the active ingredient. I really dislike using chemicals unlesss absolutely necessary and this spray claims to be all natural and safe for use around children and pets. My barn and sheds are overrun with mosquitos again since the rain and I have to do something.

Anyone have experience using something like this? Should it be ok for use around the rabbits?

Used as an air spray. Kills on contact accorfing to the directions for use. The packaging gives no precautionary statements for ingestion only eye contact.

I dont intend to directly spray the rabbits or their cages just to try and kill some of the thousands of mosquitos that are stacked up in the nooks and crannies (sp?). I get swarmed everytime i go out to the barns or sheds. I have taken all the standard prevenitive measures I can. The bug lite helps but these suckers have launched a full assault and my defenses have been overun

Well, if you have to spray it ON the insects, you will need to cover cages, stir the insects up, and commence spraying. The active ingredient itself may not be an issue, but it is the inactive ones you may need to worry about...

MaggieJ":3gwld6xl said:
Have you tried hanging bunches of fresh catnip, well bruised? I find catnip very effective for repelling both flies and mosquitoes.
Hmmmm. Never heard of that. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

Well the lemongrass oil products have not worked. As a matter of fact I think the skeeters round here like it lol. I went ahead and covered all the cages and used a permetheran (sp?) aerosol yesterday evenin and the difference this morning was tremendous. I figure after another treatment or two I will have the little vermnin well under control. I hated to have to break out the chemicals but the mosquitos around here carry West Nile Virus plus they were just making it miserable for me and the boy to feed and water not to mention the animals.

Latest posts

Back