problem solving with Old Jack

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
okay, I have jack outside in a cage that I have successfully kept rabbits in before.

He's enjoying being able to stretch his legs.

BUT over this past week he's getting damp and he's now starting to lose hair.

I have nothing else to put him into that will give him the room to move in that he likes.

He's out of the way of any flies that might go after him.

It FEELS like pee (that gritty/stinky feel that pee gets).

I'm contemplating giving him a bath and bringing him in the house for the night, but if he's having accidents and/or spraying... I don't really want that in the house either. I really really DON'T.

But I'm just kind of at a loss right now. Don't want to put him down if I don't need to.
Won't engage in heroic measures for an old meat buck, but if he can live out the summer I would seriously like that.

I may put him out in the old pen that I had Carrie in. That will give him more room to spread his wings and if he is having accidents, he won't have to sit in it unless he so chooses (not that he has to sit in it in the cage he's in currently, but it gives him three times the room).

Thoughts? Ponderings??

What kind of cage? Wire bottom, wood bottom, plastic?
What size is it?

He was in a wood and wire cage outside on the lawn. Shavings on the wood side as he decided to use that area as a litter box. It was approximately 2 x 3.5 feet.

I stuck him into my 4 x 4 cage last night as I needed to do something with him. It's obviously 4 x 4 feet across, wire and wood, lots of room. A cardboard box for protection from inclement weather and plastic across one side. I'll check on him this morning to see if that makes any difference.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:56 am __________<br /><br />well checked on old Jack this morning. He's still wet, but no more hair loss overnight. And it's not from dew as the interior of his accommodations are dry.

How old is Jack? I would be most worried about fly strike down here in FL. Do you have to worry about flies where you are? If so I would cover the cage with mosquito netting or something to keep them away- also use some of Maggie's methods- catnip, etc...

If he is not sitting in his own pee, I would be looking for another cause.
Have you looked for any skin infections that maybe are oozing?
How are his glands next to his testicles, are they dry and clean?
Plugged infected glands can make a yukky wet bun.

rinse his butt and dry him gently
then watch him

i bet you can figure out a nice summer for him and you :)

We're facing a similar situation with our oldest dog. She's starting to...leak at night. <sigh> Slightly arthritic, eyesight failing, hearing failing..but nothing bad enough to cause her distress. No pain anywhere. Just...starting to leave us slowly. :(

Back