How to market heads?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
How do you market your rabbit heads to the raw feeders? Craigs List? A note at teh feed store?

And do raw feeders buy the guts too or just the heads?

they will buy (at least in my experience) heads, feet, tail, organ meat. The odd one will buy the skins but generally only once. I've never ever had them buy the intestines.

Many raw feeders feed the entire animal, fur on as we say. Intestines is fine, as many people eat pig intestines (chitterlings). Prey model is the whole carcass. I don't grind, I just give the whole rabbit,if small, or divvy up pieces if large.

skysthelimit":3l9i584n said:
Many raw feeders feed the entire animal, fur on as we say. Intestines is fine, as many people eat pig intestines (chitterlings). Prey model is the whole carcass. I don't grind, I just give the whole rabbit,if small, or divvy up pieces if large.
Me too. I usually feed the heads separately. When I butcher for the dogs I use cervical dislocations [broomstick method] and then cut off the head. I usually package 4 heads in a bag for the freezer for one dog meal. Depending upon the size of the rabbit another package is 1 small rabbit [3-4 lbs.]or 1/2 of a large rabbit[6+ lbs.] since my dogs are 100+ lbs. and they get 3%, or so, of body weight per day.

When I butcher for our table I put the head together with the guts and freeze that as a meal sized portion for one dog. In that case I put the hide on a stretcher to dry. I plan to use the [now 100s] hides I have saved. But so far I haven't. Maybe we could organize a tanning retreat for rabbit talkers :idea:

Ya, i dont give the whole prey thing. I tried it. My dogs are so spoiled they just look at it , And look at me . So i grind things up. They do get meaty bones. They like that. One beagle loves dead baby bunnies , the ones dead on the wire. I tried to hide it from her. I give one or two. Then i throw the rest. I guess i have a problem with it.

Generally when I feed a whole rabbit the head, feed and hide are completely ignored and all the insides magically disapear. I have to say my German Shepherd does quite a good cleaning job. She saves the hides a little bit better than myself sometimes.

hm... i just fed out bones to the barn cats from our rabbit dinner. wonder if i cooked down the bones, hearts, livers, heads if they'd eat it....

My big dog won't eat raw meat unless it's from the store...He's a spoiled brat.
Little dog has become picky, she likes feet and sometimes other neatly cut sections. Still rathers to hunt her own dinners down.
Fat pup will eat anything....any freaking thing...
LGD pup ate her first raw, a duck head today, then took a nap.
=D

But I don't have enough to be feeding them all raw, sucks. So I've upgraded kibble to the best ones out there. I switch out brands every 2 bags as well and toss in raw when I can.

People seem to buy the whole rabbit or at least cut up. I want a meat grinder that can do bones so I can feed them all more evenly and it'll be easier to store and give out. But I don't have $500 for one right now..

Research your area and find out if their is a Falconry Club close-by. They'll pay a good price for the rabbit heads.

grumpy.

Im kind of afraid to feed my smallest dog raw,ive already woke up a couple of times to the little five lb mutt trying to chew off my thumb nail or toe nails. I have no doubt that if ive fallen and cant get up, i would get eaten before long

A&BRabbitry":1y2w6jpz said:
Generally when I feed a whole rabbit the head, feed and hide are completely ignored and all the insides magically disapear. I have to say my German Shepherd does quite a good cleaning job. She saves the hides a little bit better than myself sometimes.

I wish. I've salted a hide, left it out to dry, looked out the window and saw a dog go off with my salted hide. It's like jerky to them. They eat the rare pinky kits, and any poor kit that I find dead in the cage gets handed off to them, before I have time to really get upset over it. There is not a single feather left over from chicken incidents either.

That's how Chopper got his name (pork chop).

ChickiesnBunnies":1p3zo919 said:
But I don't have enough to be feeding them all raw,
I thought that too last year but bunnies being bunnies... :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:
Well I now have about 4 does kindling every 2 weeks and with 8-13 kits per litter I can keep the ones I REALLY like :pancake: and still have plenty to butcher for the dogs. If you really wanted to up production you could do it in only a couple of months.

Back