Worm composting. What about flies?!?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have a massive fly problem right now and I really DONT want to make it worse but I also want to make the best use of my rabbit manure and waste hay as possible.

Can I just pile it up in rows, leave it for a couple of months and then plant in it?

If I add as many worms as I can find and keep it watered, how can I encourage the worms but keep the maggots out?

I move the stuff far off in a corner and spread it out, so it all dries out each time the rain stops. Pile on the new stuff, same way so it can dry out.

Barnyard and hydrated lime are both good for reducing the smell, and the smell is ultimately a big part of what will attract flies.

dang, i just typed out all about making compost that doesnt smell bad,and hit the wrong key and lost it, cant do it again right now but.,
http://simplecompostbins.blogspot.com/2 ... -bins.html
Thats a start,if your limited on space, build one of those,three foot across by three feet high,minimum size. put your rabbit cleanup in along with grass clippings wood chips leaves , all your yard debri,,some lime if you like,,,and ashes from your wood stove.

__________ Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:34 pm __________

when its full , it will build up internal heat as it decomposes, the pile will settle as this happens,when it cools off worms will come up and start working on it. peal the wire back and set it up along side shoveling the pile back in, as you tu rn your pile you can add new debri,,, or you can just turn your original pile till you get nice compost.,,,,,,,you will figure it out as you go<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm __________<br /><br />the blog was something i started one time and never finished

toastedoat37":3slrp6gq said:
dang, i just typed out all about making compost that doesnt smell bad,and hit the wrong key and lost it, cant do it again right now but.,

Ctrl-Z is your friend! I use it ALL the time! :D

Back