Do's/Don'ts of Rabbit Handling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
I just got 2 does about a month ago. I like to put them in an outdoor run, but am finding it more difficult to get them to and from, without them kicking a lot.
Any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong? I'm worried one will jump out of my arms and run away. Any help would be great! I'm so glad to have found this forum, I love learning from all of you experienced rabbit raisers!

Other breeders have looked at me with a look of disbelief when I've done this, but I actually cradle many of my rabbits on my chest, supporting their lower hips with my left hand and steadying them ar the shoulder with my right hand. For the most part, I get far less struggling from them when I do so, but I will admit that it takes some time and working with the rabbit to get them comfortable with it. All three of Dottie's babies will readily sit tight when I hold them like this, and they're only at 5 weeks of age. Try and hold them any other way and they struggle with it mightily.

bunnys dont like to have their feet off the ground, they almost cant help kicking like a reflex, hold them to ya so thier feet arent hanging down. but wear thick clothing so thier toe nails dont scratch ya.

I also carry mine with my arm crooked under their front paws and their back snug up against my ribs. This way, if they kick, they don't get me, but I can still pet their head and/or cover their eyes which helps them calm down.

The gentle ones are carried like a football with their head facing forward, but since I started putting them in the runout pen during the day, all the little stinkers are so eager to get in the pen that they are all kicking now :lol:

Also, whatever new hold you try, give it a week or so for the rabbit to get used to it ... some take a while to calm down and relax.

Good ideas, maybe mine are also just excited-we are usually carrying them to our rabbit run...

Amy":3jvk0vuf said:
maybe mine are also just excited-we are usually carrying them to our rabbit run...

When you put them into their cages or the run, put them in rear end first, so they don't try to leap from your arms.

Back