Diarhea Outbreak?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
Lately, I have seen an abundance of posts on diarhea in several forums. I also had a friend call me the other day asking about some rabbits with it. I'm just curious if this is something that happens more often this time of year? Is it because people have started breeding again after giving their rabbits the winter off and there are more rabbits, increasing the chances? It just seems to be more than what I've seen before.

I dont get it myself. I have had rabbits for more years than I care to count and of many different breeds through all the years and I never had an outbreak. In fact diarrhea is very rare here.

I also never feed fruit or veggy as buns are herbivores. I never feed anything from the grocery stores. Pesticides and herbicides are all in the produce. My buns dont need that pioson.

Only herbs such as wild weeds, shrubs, branches, and grasses will I feed and pellets for balanced nutrition and hay free choice of course.
Hay is very, very important for good digestion and to keep teeth worn and wool block away.
Type of hay doesnt matter as its not so much a food but a fiber source. Stemmy grasses are whats needed.

IMO, its often a management issue.
To much bad food and not enough good food and hay.

Oh and exercise!!! I believe animals like people need exercise to maintain health. I dont hear much about people taking care of exercise needs.
I have over 20 buns right now. Cages are 36x30 and I rotate buns in a fenced pen I put out so they can play.
I try to make sure each bun gets out for play at least once a week.
I hope to build a few more pens so I can let out several at a time, one to a pen.
In winter they just get turns running loose in the rabbitry.

Also breeding. Breed the best and cull the rest. Thats another important issue needed to prevent the breeding of weakened or defective animals.

cereshill":371exd8o said:
we run 30x30 cages. I don't like them smaller. we feed hay and 16% with willow, oat grass and herbs
But do you have outbreaks of diarrhea other than normal causes such as a worm load or an occasional hormonal doe?

In the case of my friend's rabbits, they are eating the same feed as mine. We pick it up in bulk totes and are feeding out of the same lot. She gives grass hay, same as I do (though that comes from different farms). She has it and I don't. I had loose stools in a kit once last year, gave him blackberry leaves and it cleared it up. I haven't had it since. I just am wondering if there is a cause related to seasons, breeding, or ???. It just seems like so many people were hit all at once. Maybe knowing would help with prevention.

But wasnt that connected to a worm issue?
Worms happens. Look at any livestock and you can find incidences of worm induced diarrhea.
I dont see worms in rabbits in the north as much but it appears in climates that dont have the freezing long winters, worms cases are more common.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:03 pm __________<br /><br />With breeding I wonder if sometimes its a hormonal thing with does that tosses them and sometimes the kits off?
Thanks to my daughters memory and reminding me, we had a doe get diarrhea for no apparent reason. She was nursing kits.
A little peto and it cleared right up. Other than that she was perfectly healthy. So I wonder, hormones going bazerk?

Maggie,
Ms tenino had it for one day; I gave her a wormer and she has cleared up. I check all the pans daily and this is a very differenct situation.

Back