They're here! They're here!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytdogs

Reaction score
The babes came early this morning. I didn't get to bed until 3 am & I wanted to sleep in a little but the dogs wouldn't let me. I peeked out back & saw hair all over 18's cage & thought, oh they must be coming soon. I got my shoes & went out & immediately saw some placenta on the manure board & thought uh oh, did she eat them!? Then I saw one little baby on the ground :cry: his little body all cold with a big purple forehead :x when I picked him up he was very vigorous though. As I looked around I found another between the wire & manure board on the sides, another had fallen into the manure trough & then rolled into the manure bucket & was all covered in pee/poo :shock: two more on the floor near the steps, one under the table saw & finally one inside on the wire by the feeder in a pile of alfalfa. I brought the nestbox in & cleaned everybody up and have them warming on top of a low heating pad...seven little wriggly babies. One of my dogs donated a little hair since 18's was all over the place- everywhere but in the nest box.

Mom had done a nice job cleaning them up & only a few of them were really cold the others were just cool- I guess FL heat has it's benefits. So, now I remember babysaver! I had been all gung ho for it & then promptly forgot it when the cage builder backed out & i bought the cheapie TSC cages in a pinch.

Anybody have any suggestions on an alternative until I can get some wire?
How do i know when she is done having the babies? I figure she had them an hour or so before I went out because even the ones on the cement floor were not ice cold & they were all dry & cleaned. Only the manure bucket baby was really cold. Mom was chowing down on grains too :)

Also, little purple dome head baby- anybody ever have one like that do okay?

Thanks!
MyT

I'm confused. Did the doe have a nest box and just not use it? Generally, if you put the kits in the nest box if they were kindled on the wire, they will be safe unless accidentally pulled out on momma's teat when she finishes nursing.

No idea about the purple dome headed kit... unless it is badly bruised, perhaps.

Yes, there was a nest box but it didn't look like she used it at all. This is her first litter & she is young (~10 mos) so I'm thinking she did okay...

Good the babies don't normally squirm their way out of the box then?

Thanks!
MyT

if the nestbox has sides that are a few inches higher than the bedding..no, they don't squirm their way out. They may hang on to a teat and get dragged out...but they usually squirm toward the heat and sound of the other kits..and make a big ball of kittly cuteness.

now...once they start crawling around..10 days or so..THEN you may find them getting out. You might want to put a pile of hay/straw in front of the box so they can climb back in again. After 2 weeks, they can hop in and out on their own, usually.

MyT, if you have not already done so, put the kits in the box. Put hay or straw in the box, punch a nice hollow up under the hood, add a little fur, then put the kits in the hollow and put the rest of the fur on top. If it is very hot, you might want to leave them only partly covered.

Yes, they are warm & snuggled in the nest box on top of my clothes washer. I will take them back out to mom once the rain lets up some. Purple dome head kit seems okay & the dome is gone & the bruise has spread out flat now.

Sounds like things are working out for you. :mbounce:

:hmm: Seems like we are missing somthing. :mrgreen: I know it is the pics. When you get a chance take a pic or two of your litter. :clap: :clap2: :clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap: :clap2: :gun: :jedai:

Latest posts

Back