Clipping nails

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
How often do you clip your rabbits' nails? At what age do you begin clipping them? Any recommendations on clippers or procedures?

I don't have a schedule, does get their nails clipped before each mating and bucks get them trimmed when needed. I lay them on their back on my knees and use a pair of dog toenail clippers. Trim a little bit at a time so you don't take off too big a chunk. The dog toenail clippers work for teeth too (hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon!).

I'll start clipping heavily at 3 or 4 months. Before that, I'll trim them as needed. (Babies nails can be so sharp!)
If I need to get them short quickly, then nails are trimmed once a week.
Once they're at a suitable length, once a month. Every now and then someone'll have sharp nails that I can't trim, so i'll take the time to file them down.

Once a month for the big rabbits, and twice a month for the Mini Rex, because their nails grow freakishly fast. I also do touch ups before matings and shows.

I am on a very similar schedule to Devon, except my English Lops get the extra nail trims so they don't snag their ears playing or being goofy.

Lauren

I always trim them when they need it and start a week or two after they open their eyes.I use the dog toenail clippers aswell.

Mine get clipped when ever they need it. Since they are angoras and handled a lot their nails are checked all the time.
I use plain old human nail clippers. Rabbits dont have large, hard nails like a dog. They are soft and sideways flat enough for just people nail clippers. I just use the clippers sideways to match the flat on the nail. Never had a prob either clipping nails.

Back