help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a case of nestbox eye? I've never heard of one not developing, so I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe you could post a pic?

What do you mean exactly?
Is the lid not open or is there no eye?

If the lid is just stuck closed I would apply warm compresses several times a day and see if it improves.

If this bun has a defect I would cull as it may be congenital in nature and I wouldnt want to risk a possible messed up gene in my lines, nor would I sell it as a pet as someone else may breed a potentially defective bun.

Welcome horsegirl0215
My cousin had one that had a bad eye too, I think it wouldn't open and when they tried to help open it, it wasn't totally formed,
& it died not long after.
I hope your kit is fine & it gets better.

Farm Girl

well i called a vet out and he said it was not formed.

__________ Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:22 pm __________

__________ Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:23 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:25 pm __________<br /><br />

Attachments

• SUNP0298.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,001
  • SUNP0297.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,999
  • frostsm.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,999
Pretty bun. I'm sorry about the eye. The others are right. Unless you plan to keep this bun as a pet (and NOT breed it) for its entire life (and I'm not sure I would put even a pet through life with one eye), the best thing to do is to cull it.

sorry i wouln't do that because the vet said it can still breed and all it is is that it did not form while it was in it's mother.

if the eye didnt' form, that would be a genetic problem. Do you really want to breed a rabbit with a genetic problem?

I agree with culling. I know it is hard, but sometimes it has to be done. Something genetic can take several generations to pop up. If you breed animals with genetic defects, you aren't doing anything for the breed.

Genetics are a bit like gambling. You can breed the rabbit, knowing that it has bad genetics, but not have those bad traits show up, right away because the rabbits it is being bred too, do not carry the gene for a bad eye. Although the probability of every baby that rabbit produces will carry bad genetics is very high. And somewhere down the line the bad eye pops up again. Chances are the siblings of this rabbit all carry the genetics for bad eyes, and it's most definite that both the parents do. So the cross this rabbit came out of wouldn't be wise to do again, nor would be breeding the rabbit.

If you do go ahead and breed the rabbit, then sell the offspring, what are you going to do when someone who bought offspring happens to get bad eyes in their litters and tell people "don't buy rabbits from so and so, they have bad eyes" ? Breeding rabbits with obvious genetic issues can ruin a reputation in an instant. It's not that hard to trace back where a rabbit came from.

I bought a rabbit, turned out he had a split penis I didn't catch when I bought him, and I didn't catch it until after I bred him to my best doe. (his split is really low down on the shaft and you wouldn't see it unless it was all out). Now this buck has several redeeming qualities about him gorgeous fur, small, typey, and super friendly, but it is a genetic thing, his siblings don't have it, his father doesn't have it but they all can carry it. So every single baby born will be sold as a pet on a spay neuter contract, as well as this buck will be sold on a spay neuter contract. Because I don't want someone buying a rabbit from me, have them produce split penises, and say "Oh don't buy from her her rabbits have genetic issues". So I'm choosing to fold my cards instead of gambling with them, just to be safe.

DevonW":1av2mcnl said:
Genetics are a bit like gambling. You can breed the rabbit, knowing that it has bad genetics, but not have those bad traits show up, right away because the rabbits it is being bred too, do not carry the gene for a bad eye. Although the probability of every baby that rabbit produces will carry bad genetics is very high. And somewhere down the line the bad eye pops up again. Chances are the siblings of this rabbit all carry the genetics for bad eyes, and it's most definite that both the parents do. So the cross this rabbit came out of wouldn't be wise to do again, nor would be breeding the rabbit.

If you do go ahead and breed the rabbit, then sell the offspring, what are you going to do when someone who bought offspring happens to get bad eyes in their litters and tell people "don't buy rabbits from so and so, they have bad eyes" ? Breeding rabbits with obvious genetic issues can ruin a reputation in an instant. It's not that hard to trace back where a rabbit came from.

I bought a rabbit, turned out he had a split penis I didn't catch when I bought him, and I didn't catch it until after I bred him to my best doe. (his split is really low down on the shaft and you wouldn't see it unless it was all out). Now this buck has several redeeming qualities about him gorgeous fur, small, typey, and super friendly, but it is a genetic thing, his siblings don't have it, his father doesn't have it but they all can carry it. So every single baby born will be sold as a pet on a spay neuter contract, as well as this buck will be sold on a spay neuter contract. Because I don't want someone buying a rabbit from me, have them produce split penises, and say "Oh don't buy from her her rabbits have genetic issues". So I'm choosing to fold my cards instead of gambling with them, just to be safe.
Totally agree plus its just not your own reputation to worry about its also whats best for the rabbits as a whole.
Its not good to put genetically bad rabbits out there for people to breed. The goal of a rabbit breeder should be to provide healthy, genetically sound rabbits. No one, not even the rabbits need to have more genetically bad rabbits out there. Its bad enough people sell and breed rabbits with genetically crooked teeth. Thats seems to be almost common these days and it wrong. Its not good for the rabbits or people!
If you want to keep this rabbit get it fixed so it cant breed.
IMO, if your going to breed rabbits be prepared to cull defectives or have them fixed. Dont add bad genetics into the rabbit world. Its not fair to the people out their nor their rabbits!

Also if I were you I would get a new vet.
My vet never advices to breed defective animals. He does the opposite, advices neutering/spaying or putting them down.
We are responsible for what we put out in this world.
Oh and your vet can not say this is not genetic. It is impossible for him/her to know that with out a lot of genetic testing. The risk of a genetic defect is real since this bun formed wrong and that is reason enough to not take risk ruining a line of buns with its genes.
Make it a pet. Love it and pamper it but dont breed it!

horsegirl0215":r3j6rhhu said:
i am keeping it as a pet so thank a bunch

Oh good- he is so cute I can't see how you could resist. One day I might just have to get a little Siamese Lionhead. Cull does not necessarily mean euthanize...here is some Wikipedia info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culling

Culling The rejection or removal of inferior individuals from breeding. The act of selective breeding. As used in the practice of breeding pedigree cats, this refers to the practice of spaying or neutering a kitten or cat that does not measure up to the show standard (or other standard being applied) for that breed. In no way does culling, as used by responsible breeders, signify the killing of healthy kittens or cats if they fail to meet the applicable standard."

You may want to have him neutered so you don't have to worry about his hormones- generally neutered animals make better pets cause they are not so busy trying to make more animals :)

ETA: Don't worry about him only having one eye. I have seen dogs with no (working) eyes get by just fine. This guy never had an eye so he doesn't know what he's missing!

Back