Feeding corn and stalks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blair

Reaction score
Any one have experience on feeding corn and stalks to rabbits? Both green and dry? I plan on growing open pollinated corn this year. Heard that they are taller, more foliage, bigger ears and higher protein percentage.

easily doable.

They'll eat the green/fresh tassles first, then the leaves and then the stalks. Once the tassles are dry they tend to avoid them...but then the mice want them so that part all works out for me. :)

IF you have corn silk...most will dive into it with no holds barred.

In the dry stalks, watch for mould. Like seriously...LOOK for it! Mostly in the joining areas, at the ends of the cobs where the silk was if it didn't fall out, and up near the tassle.
Smart rabbits will avoid it, but the dumb ones won't.

I've given dried stalks before. The rabbits seemed to enjoy it. I'll have to try fresh later in the year.

ladysown":2powihqb said:
easily doable.

They'll eat the green/fresh tassles first, then the leaves and then the stalks. Once the tassles are dry they tend to avoid them...but then the mice want them so that part all works out for me. :)

IF you have corn silk...most will dive into it with no holds barred.

In the dry stalks, watch for mould. Like seriously...LOOK for it! Mostly in the joining areas, at the ends of the cobs where the silk was if it didn't fall out, and up near the tassle.
Smart rabbits will avoid it, but the dumb ones won't.

I was reading about all the mold on the corn in many places this year due to the wet autumn. It was said (no verification on this) that the "gray" or "blue" mold was not harmful, it was the white and pink mold that has aflotoxins (sp?) and was seriously toxic. I know that it is the "white" mold that is such a problem with cracked (cut/chooped) corn. It is hard to see, and apparently can grow to serious amount within a week after the corn is cracked.

Corn is tricky because of the dangers that come with mould. I've switched from scratch (oats, barely, cracked corn) to a mix of whole barley and whole wheat. Less waste and I think it is safer. All the critters seem okay with it.

it was the white and pink mold that has aflotoxins (sp?) and was seriously toxic. I know that it is the "white" mold that is such a problem with cracked (cut/chooped) corn. It is hard to see, and apparently can grow to serious amount within a week after the corn is cracked.
that type of mould is usually found on the kernels themselves.

the mould on stalks that I get concerned about is the black mould that gathers in the 'catch' areas. I've never seen any other type of mould on the stalks/leaves themselves.

Feed the stalks, leaves and cobs with the same care that you would with hay. A HT member near me lets his cattle and sheep feed on the standing stalks in the field in the winter. An Amish neighbor 'hays' his corn for winter sheep feed.
Remember this-- the corn grain (kernel) itself is what contains the gluten that causes rabbit fat to turn yellow in color- important to know if you have a commercial market for the meat.
Aflatoxins occur as a result of improperly drying any type of grain-whole or cracked. I am pretty sure, if feeding the vegetation, it would be safe to remove the 'moldy' portions and feed the clean parts-- but-- that would be up to the owner--some fungi look like molds--and that is where a lot of confusion happens--I avoid any visible signs of mold and fungus, simply because no one family of either is completely safe. I do have a test rabbit on the premises--but each time i feed something I have a question about, I feel guilty about the potential for its pain or demise.

Terry

Latest posts

Back