Probiotics work!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Call me skeptical.

I've heard people talk about probiotics and how they are useful.
bought some at meaford, Thinking at the worst I blew $10.

Tried it on two rabbits. Did no good for them. Skepticism increased.

BUT tried it on a weanling having trouble with not having mom around, and voila! worked a treat! started eating again within 1/2 hour. :) Fairly sure I would have lost him otherwise as he was all hunchy and scrawny looking.

So I think for some things, Probiotics will do the trick, but obviously for others....won't change the course of events.

Is it worth the $10 for the tube? Think so. Saved a kit worth $20 on the pet market.

I always say try probios because it cant hurt and often can help.
I buy the big giant tube that you use a gun with. I have it for the livestock as well as any other critter that may need it.
Its great for stressful times to, to keep that gut from getting off kilter.
Yogurt I dont find works as good as actual probios.
It goes bad after awhile for one so long term storage is out.
It seems it just doesnt have the amount of good bacteria needed when a animal is messed up.
IMO, yogurt may be good for a boost or maintenance but not for an animal that needs a lot of bacteria in that gut quickly.

Most general bouts of diarrhea or off feed instances I have fixed just with probios.
And when medicating animals I always grab the probios so the gut doesnt get messed up from the meds.

The brand I buy is 'Probios' brand! LOL
Its from the farm store.
The stuff I get is for all animals, goats, sheep, pigs, horses, dogs, cats, rabbits, rodents, birds, reptiles, etc.
Its 10million CFU/g of lactic acid bacteria.
also has enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, L.casei and L.plantarum, colony forming units.
All are live viable microorganisms.
The powder is dormant.

The powders expiration date is for April of 2012! I bought it almost a year ago.
So it last a long time.

My gel type is in the rabbitry outside and since its night time, I would have to go look at it tomorrow to see how long the gel last. It should also be a dormant type and have a long shelf life too.

Latest posts

Back