Brokens

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I have a broken NZR buck that has sired two litters to NZW does. The first litter had 3 broken blacks and 4 solid blacks. The other NZW doe had a litter of 10 today. Three are black, three are broken black, and the other four are pink. Could any of the pinks be broken reds? All of my reds are grow-outs, so I haven't seen kits from them to judge by. Would the kits have any sort of patterns, indicating brokens? Am I just too anxious and going to have to wait it out for them to get fuzzy?

I couldn't tell you about pink->red, but all of my brokens had distinct broken patterns from Day 1.

If they are broken reds if you look closely under good lighting you will see a a broken pattern with a really light red colour, usually by day two it is definite they're broken red.

Thanks! The broken blacks are obvious, but anything above and beyond that I'm lost. I shall check again. I want a broken red doe so bad I can taste it. None of my red does are ready to breed yet.

I know what you're going through.
I have a single Red Satin buck, and I desperately want more red satins but no one around here has reds, and my only hope to make them myself is from a broken himi doe.

Last night when I looked at them, the dark ones appeared black. Today, in actual daytime, they are brownish. Woohoo!!! It looks like I may have some broken reds. I am thrilled!

Devon, I sure hope you get your Red Satin soon. I will spread some of the get-what-you-want dust your way! LOL

No. No. No. Don't say chestnuts. I want reds. I'll give you some get-what-you-want dust too. LOL. The pinks look like pinks that are from a white to white. I was talking to a friend today and she said that the reds are brownish. I should see if I can get a decent pic.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 pm __________<br /><br />Here is a picture of the entire litter.
101_0469.jpg

This is one of the brokens in question.
101_0466.jpg

Here is one of the solids (sort of). I was told that because of the light belly and inner ears, it should be a red. When you say chestnut, are you refering to an agouti? I'm fairly new to the whole color thing. Whites and Cals are so much more predictable. lol
101_0468.jpg

I would say the two in the single kit photos are most definitely chestnut and broken chestnut. Reds at birth are not much darker than the whites, just a deeper pink. Very nice broken pattern too, I might add :)

Many white NZ are blacks under that albino gene, so when crossed to a red, they give both blacks and chestnuts. The blacks might be red-highlighted due to the rufus modifiers from the red parent, but they still won't be reds.

On a positive note, keep the chestnut broken and breed back to a red to produce broken reds.

Yes, chestnut is "agouti". Agouti actually refers to a pattern on the hair shaft and body and can come in several colours - chestnut is the brown-black wild type colour.

Thank you for your help and clearing up my question of chestnut agouti. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I have another broken chestnut that I bought and am growing out, just so that I could breed back to a red. This was before I bought the broken red. My rabbitry is sure getting colorful!!!

Back