Potty training

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeThomas

Reaction score
My mini lop bunnies have always used the litter box. For some reason they are not now. I don't know what to do i want them to be able to run around the house again but i cant because they keep pooping and peeing where ever they want. Its not like in certin spots its all over! I know to put litter boxes where they go but they are not picking a spot its lieteraly every where, even in there cage they stop using it. :!: :?: Well u cant say stopped using it completly because they still use it but they still go everywhere else and it is very not like them. What do i do :( .. also they have been tipping over there litter boxes. Idk but maybe they need to be spayed but they are like a month to young. I not sure if it will help.

Attachments

• SANY2527.JPG
    SANY2527.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,700
  • SANY2530.JPG
    SANY2530.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,700
  • SANY2535.JPG
    SANY2535.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,700
What nice homes you made for them!

The problem could have started because their feet got urine on them when they used their litter box- wherever they hopped after, they left a trail of urine odor. I would suggest modifying their cages and litter boxes so they have a standard wire floor. You can easily bend some cage wire to fit in the boxes, or purchase one designed that way. This site has a selection of them: http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/groom3.htm

Before installing the floor wire you need to thoroughly clean all cage surfaces and use an odor neutralizer. Bathe the bunnies before putting them back into their cages. You will need to use the odor neutralizer on the areas of your house where they have pottied too.

Once they are consistently using their litter boxes in their cages, you can begin letting them out in a small section of the house. I would start by making a corral around their cages, since the floor is easily cleaned if they make a "mistake" and they wont have far to go to make the right decision and use their litterbox.

Thank you for your reply MamaSheepdog. I have hear it is really bad to have a wire bottom. I am against having that type of flooring. I have cleaned their home floor with safe pet cleaner and have steam cleaned it every day. I also change the litter once every two days and take them in the shower once a week but only wash them once a month. I take them in the shower so there feet will rinse off.

Having a wire bottom is the most sanitary way to raise rabbits. As long as you use 14 gauge wire they will be perfectly comfortable on it. There are millions of rabbits raised on wire, and very few ever have any problems. Many people provide resting boards or tile so the rabbits can get off the wire if they choose.

Your rabbits may develop "urine scald" on their feet or other body parts that are in contact with the urine. Since you have been washing them you have luckily prevented it so far.

Unless you will commit to washing their feet before letting them out to roam around, you will never solve the problem. Personally, I would rather keep them on wire so they can regain their freedom.

To keep your rabbit from flipping the litter box, just drill a couple of holes in the sides and tie it to the cage. :)

Like MSD said their feet can become sore quite quickly when urine builds up on them. I started out with my flemmish giant being on a solid floor, she got nasty pretty fast. I dont have time with all the kids sports, and other animals to wash my rabbits feet off all the time, so she now has a wire bottom. It doesnt bother her at all to be on the wire. My rabbit is mostly potty trained, but she still leaves cocoa puffs out of the litter box, especially where she eats.

JessicaR":16lpur27 said:
Like MSD said their feet can become sore quite quickly when urine builds up on them. I started out with my flemmish giant being on a solid floor, she got nasty pretty fast. I dont have time with all the kids sports, and other animals to wash my rabbits feet off all the time, so she now has a wire bottom. It doesnt bother her at all to be on the wire. My rabbit is mostly potty trained, but she still leaves cocoa puffs out of the litter box, especially where she eats.

ive heard that large rabbits shouldnt be on wire floors because they are so heavy and they can get sore hocks :|

BunnyGirl":p5o3tx4v said:
ive heard that large rabbits shouldnt be on wire floors because they are so heavy and they can get sore hocks :|

I have heard that as well. But I have also heard that Rex rabbits are prone to sore hocks. All of my rabbits, which are Standard Rex, live in all wire cages. They do have a place to rest off of the floor.

I think it boils down to how they are bred. If you breed rabbits with poorly furred feet, you are going to get more of the same, and have sore hocks.

With the giant breeds it is important to get the heavier gauge wire floors. 14g would be the absolute minimum- 12g would be even better.

Another contributing factor is the cleanliness of the cage floor. If fur or other debris is allowed to collect and becomes damp from urine or even water, it presents the perfect environment for fungal infections on the feet.

Yeah i heard about the sore hocks that's why i stayed away from the wire floor and idk what the "urine scald" is but they do have yellow rings on there feet. I just don't understand why they went from using it and being clean bunnies to going where ever they want. Does anyone know why that happens? I also looked at the window next to there cage and well i think they are spraying on the window if female bunnies do that.Do females spray? it looks like spray marks like a cat would do and i don't have a cat and there at perfect level from the top level cage. I will try the wire thing i guess when i get some money flow.. i have wire ramps that i put carpet on. How would i know the gauge of the grate ramps? I also steam clean the carpet as well

part of the issue is their age as well. if they are just starting to mature, they are letting everyone know that they are available for action. So the peeing in the litter box is normal peeing, the peeing everywhere else is the "hello world, note I"M HERE!!!".

It will over time settle.

If you aren't planning on breeding, I'd be looking at neutering them now, and then while they are gone, cleaning everything up really well with vinegar (yes, plain ordinary vinegar) and if you can, set it all out in the sun for a day or so. Then tie down their litter box and put an identical one just inside it so you can lift that one out and clean it while having the stability of the other to keep them from being flipped.

hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back