Vanilla in the h2o?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

currituckbun

Reaction score
Is there any truth to this? I read that if you put vanilla extract - 1 tsp per gal, in the water in the summer that it would cut down on the attractiveness of their urine to flies. In other words it helps to repell flies.
I am armed with rosemary branches all over the barn but my outside grow out cages will need something more this summer. The flies are already doing the Exorcist thing. :viking:
I do not want to use any pesticides around my barn or rabbits.

Unless you can use artificial vanilla, I think that would be a very expensive fly deterrent.

Artificial works-- I use it, and really, there is a mmrked difference ion the presence of 'nasties' all around! Overall odor is controlled, as well. I have found no ill effects on earthworms when composting the contents of the dropping trays. Another benefit-- the water bottles are not growing algae in them. ( vanilla can actually be used, at 1 Tablespoon per gallon, to neutralize fungal spores and growth, as well- especially useful if you have debilitated animals that are drinking or eating out of theose heavy rubber tubs!

Back