Worms in buckling...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I have a 10 week old that exhibits worms: thin clear worms in poops, doesn't eat or drink much. very quiet. I gave a fingernail size bit of ivemectrin last night. today a puddle of clear feces.... The coat is dull and dry, what else would you do?

I let him graze a section of new grass as an experiment last week---doesn't look like a great plan...

I also provided raw pumpkin seeds to all feeders tonight and will every other day for a week or two.<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 pm __________<br /><br />Update: he pooped another clear mass with white threads... He also started to eat the fresh hay I provided; I am hoping the medicine is breaking up the worms and he will eat the seeds.
Haven't had this happen, but gotta learn sometime.

I have no first-hand experience of this in rabbits, CH, but it sounds as though the medicine is doing its work. Do you have him isolated? With all parasites, there is a cycle and you need to make sure that it does not spread to the other rabbits.

Yes, he is isolated and will remain so. I am washing his tray daily to both check results and insure it doesn't spread. Fortunately, he was solo as the otehr two left last week.
How long should I treat him; I would imagine he needs a good 2-3 weeks to clear up.

I will "burn" and bleach the cage and pan at some point too

I don't know how long you should treat for... Never seen any signs of worms in rabbits. Such a heavy parasite load would seem to indicate - to me at any rate - a weak immune system. I don't think I would use such a rabbit in my breeding program. Having treated with a wormer, you would not want to use the meat either - at least for a long time. I'd be tempted to simply euthanize and dispose of the body where nothing else could get hold of it. Just my inclination... treating him and waiting to see the outcome is also a valid decision.

If he's so young I would suspect he got them in utero from Momma, and such a heavy case sounds like momma has never been wormed, and has been on the ground near other animals (like dogs). You see it a lot in dogs, puppies born with worms because mom had them.

The best thing to do, is to worm him, keep his tray and cage clean. Then a week later worm him again. For heavy infestations like this, after the 2nd worming I would worm again 2 weeks later just to make sure you caught everything and that no eggs got back into his system and hatched. Wormer only kills worms, it doesn't kill the eggs. Which is why 2nd and 3rd doses are really important.

I would also worm the rest of your herd as well in a week on a 2 week dosage schedule, because the eggs are tiny and if you didn't wash up properly after cleaning his try or handling him and then went to look after other rabbits, you could have potentially given them worms

Worms do not have to do with a weak immune system, they're parasites that need their host to be alive in order for them to survive. Such a large amount of them would mean he is able to support not only the worms but himself, and that needs one heck of a strong immune system and one heck of a digestive system to do. On a rabbit with a weak immune system it would have been dead by now.

I will worm the rest via water tonight; the difference with this fella is that I had him grazing on grass a week and a half ago. My assumption is that he got it that way.
These appear to be pinworms

well, his poop is full of them---I gotta assume they are "evacuating".

I may just cull him though. I wouldn't want to eat him nor anyone else.

Pinworms evacuate themselves in order to get oxygen to hatch the eggs.The males die in the intestines but the females live longer and leave to lay eggs, so the eggs will be everywhere as they are also very sticky.

I put him down; will remove, clean and air the cage for a few weeks. I don't need it, so I will let it be sanitized by the sun.

will post image too.

I thought this might be of benefit to some..... It is about worms in dogs, so apply with caution. " Safe-Guard 10% suspension horse/cattle dewormer. I use this for all Beagles that are at least 2 weeks old. This liquid dewormer comes in a 1000 ml bottle and contains 100 mg per ml of the active ingredient which is Fenbendazole. This is much cheaper to buy on a yearly basis than any other deworming product. You can purchase this huge bottle for only $104.95 (accurate price as of 04/20/2008) from Lambert Vet Supply"

*from beagles unlimited.

I know many of you have sheep, goats, dogs and other animals out there so I thought I would throw this in. I have no experience with it myself.

Anybody use the paste? I can get a reasonable amount of that vs the big jug of the liquid. I know it will get used eventually but $ are tight right now. My old girl Gilly (Border Collie) is very sick :cry: & I need to save $ for whatever she is going to need medically (already several thousand dollars).

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back