Register

Pictures of rabbit colors?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,270.00

Pictures of rabbit colors?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby trinityoaks » Mon May 31, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm trying to find some pictures of rabbits of various colors, so that I know what the heck is being referred to on my Brazilian rabbits' pedigrees. I don't need color genetics YET (that'll come later). I saw a Web site with photos of rabbits of various colors (mini-Rex?), but now I'm not finding it.

Specifically, I want to see what these colors look like, and to be able to compare them:

Blue Chin
Blue Fawn
Blue
Tortoiseshell
Opal

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Re: Pictures of rabbit colors?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby DevonW » Mon May 31, 2010 5:57 pm

A blue chinchilla, is called Squirrel in most breeds, and it is just a dilute chinchilla

This website has some good examples of different colours http://www.tinytotsrabbitry.com/dwarfs/compatible.html

Blue Fawn is very similar looking to Lynx, and the two colours get mixed up a lot the one difference between the two is the lynx will have ring colour (being an agouti) and the blue fawn will not.
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Anntann » Mon May 31, 2010 6:09 pm

Sister, have I got a site for YOU!!!http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/en/index.html It used to be in German, but they've changed to English, or about any language you can use. Usually has the color from most, if not all breeds, so you can see the variation.

let's see.....For instance, I look for "base color", then the extensions...here is BLUE page http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/en/entries/B_d/1.html

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,330.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby HendricksHearth » Mon May 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Here is another one that I like (Coat Colors of the Domestic Rabbit):

http://www.nockrabbits.com/coat_colors1.html

EDIT: Here is one of my litters with squirrel/blue chin in the foreground with a blue directly behind it and a black chin to the right:

And here is another of my litters with all black tort and blue tort:

And one with opal right in the middle (see the light ears), with lilac on top, lynx to the left, and blue to the right:

Best of luck!

Lauren

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Anntann » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 am

Lauren, that's just not FAIR! Sneaking in ultra cute soft fuzzy popple-pictures into a thread! That bottom picture...I'm thinking that whole litter needs to move up here to Wisconsin..yuppers.

Post Number:#6  Unread postby trinityoaks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks, everyone! Ann, the site you mentioned is EXACTLY what I needed. I did find that nockrabbits site, but since it's mostly drawings, I was having a hard time picturing what those would look like on an actual rabbit. That site will help a lot when I get to the genetics, though.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,330.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby HendricksHearth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Glad you liked the pictures, Ann. :)

Also, Trinity, the drawings are there just to organize the groups- you just click on them and then it shows different breed examples of the colors on actual rabbits. Glad you found a site you like though.

Lauren

Post Number:#8  Unread postby trinityoaks » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:39 am

HendricksHearth wrote:Glad you liked the pictures, Ann. :)

Also, Trinity, the drawings are there just to organize the groups- you just click on them and then it shows different breed examples of the colors on actual rabbits.

Ahh! I missed that part! Thanks for pointing that out. Also, thanks for posting your pics, as well!