Register

Howdy from Nor-Cal!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 60.00

Howdy from Nor-Cal!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OrovilleTim » Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 am

Just the obligatory "howdy" post from the Lake Oroville area of Northern California. ;)

No rabbits yet, but I'm one of those "over-thinkers", which has brought me here and I will shortly be posting a question in the appropriate forum (Meat Rabbits). Well, no rabbits at home I should say... my daughter is raising rabbits for FFA but they are hosted at her school's barn. Anyway, looks like a nice bunch of folks here and I'm off on my way to post my query!

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Re: Howdy from Nor-Cal!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 am

Welcome, OroTim!

It's nice to have another Californian joining the group! We aren't all Left-Wing-Lagomorph-Liberators here in CA, despite what the rest of the country thinks of us! :lol:

I'm an over-thinker too! Research, research, research! You will be in good company here at RT- lots of very knowledgeable people are on board. :D
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
OrovilleTim

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri May 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Nice to have you with us, Tim! :hi: I'm sure you'll fit right in!
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Welcome! Glad to have you and I know my Sistah, MamaSheepDog, is glad to have another Cali resident on the board!

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby OrovilleTim » Fri May 04, 2012 1:41 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:It's nice to have another Californian joining the group! We aren't all Left-Wing-Lagomorph-Liberators here in CA, despite what the rest of the country thinks of us! :lol:

L.W.L.L.! I love it. Without exposing too much of my politics and potentially alienating folks, I will say there are lots of reasons for me to leave CA to a "Free State" and I even own a future "self-reliant" homestead in NV (although only 9/10ths of a mile out of CA.) But what so many don't understand is that those of us who have lived here a long time (especially in the rural areas) appreciate some benefits that make us stick around. Mediterranean style climate for good growing seasons, ocean a couple hours one way, Tahoe a couple hours the other (for me at least.) Plus, after spending time in the Mid-South (which I do love and miss so I'm not knocking it) I also developed an appreciation for the lack of humidity, chiggers, snakes, and turtles intent on removing my digits.

But yeah, there are a lot of those L.W.L.L.'s around here. Funny thing is, it would probably be more acceptable to grow "medicinal marijuana" than it will be for me raising meat rabbits! :?
"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." - John Burroughs

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri May 04, 2012 2:18 pm

OrovilleTim wrote:Funny thing is, it would probably be more acceptable to grow "medicinal marijuana" than it will be for me raising meat rabbits! :?

Hey! Now there's an idea- raise your rabbits on "MM" and sell them to the "Pharmacies"... kind of like the magic brownies... :zombiebun:

OrovilleTim wrote:Without exposing too much of my politics and potentially alienating folks, I will say there are lots of reasons for me to leave CA to a "Free State"

Thankfully, we live in Kern County, bastion of conservatives, where more CCW permits are issued than all other counties in CA combined! :P Needless to say, we exercise our 2nd Amendment rights to the fullest. :lonergr:
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#7  Unread postby OrovilleTim » Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:Thankfully, we live in Kern County, bastion of conservatives, where more CCW permits are issued than all other counties in CA combined! :P Needless to say, we exercise our 2nd Amendment rights to the fullest. :lonergr:

We're a *big time* 2nd Amendment family too!

Have a friend/coworker from Kern County (Blue Mountain) and she really loves the area from what I gather. My favorite memory of Kern County though is the time I stopped into Buck's for a dinner and tried the chicken fried steak with taters & green beans that were the best green beans I'd tasted since I lived on the farm in Bardsdale, CA (near Fillmore) with my Great-grandparents as a kid and we grew our own. Reminded me of one of those farm meals I'd missed for years.

We had reservations to go back and take in a dinner show. We ended up cancelling the reservations and not going and it turned out that it was Buck's last ever show as he passed away that evening. We heard through my coworker/friend whose son was there that Buck put on a very different show and was doing a lot of reminiscing. It was almost like he knew it would be his last.
"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." - John Burroughs

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,555.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby curlysue » Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 am

Hello!from southwestern Pa.