First litter is coming...I hope! Newbie questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytdogs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping that 18 will be having her babies any day now. I put in the nest box last night (day 28), stuffed it with hay (coastal), gave her a huge amount of alfalfa & a serving of pellets mixed with oats & BOSS. By tonight ALL hay was gone- the cheap coastal from the nest box! as well as the alfalfa! She hadn't touched her pellet/grain mixture. She seemed a little restless too.

Does this sound normal? Do they often go off feed right around kindling? Am I being paranoid?? :lol:

Thanks from a nervous new breeder!!

Going off feed and only munching on hay before kindling is a common occurrence around here. Nothing to worry about. Also (I'm not sure of where you are) but with high temperatures rabbits don't eat as much. It's been in the high 80's all week here and barely anyone has finished their food by the morning.

My rabbits usually will not eat a whole lot the day before kindling, sometimes two. Around here, one of the signs that a doe has kindled is I find her pigging out at the food dish. When a pregnant doe goes off her feed the day before kindling, I usually make sure she has something to gnaw; hay cube, raspberry cane or a twig from a safe tree. My rabbits seem to love to chew close to due date.

Good luck and may your nest box be 'hopping' with new life soon!

That's what I saw with all of my does (I'm recent to rabbits, too).

Ask ANY questions you have. Everyone here was a newbie once :) If you ask as soon as you have the question, someone here can help....at the least it will give you peace of mind, and it may save your rabbit if something is "not right".

I whole-heartedly agree with Maggie about the hay. I've had that happen with a doe. I always give a small amount of hay in the morning and I have one doe that will eat all the hay you'll give her. This posed a big problem and I almost lost a litter.

mytdogs":1auf2din said:
Hi all,

I am hoping that 18 will be having her babies any day now. I put in the nest box last night (day 28), stuffed it with hay (coastal), gave her a huge amount of alfalfa & a serving of pellets mixed with oats & BOSS. By tonight ALL hay was gone- the cheap coastal from the nest box! as well as the alfalfa! She hadn't touched her pellet/grain mixture. She seemed a little restless too.

Does this sound normal? Do they often go off feed right around kindling? Am I being paranoid?? :lol:

Thanks from a nervous new breeder!!

That sounds pretty normal. Mine usually go off feed the day before they kindle.
She will probably have them pretty soon. Good luck! :)

Emily

Thanks everyone...

still no babies :(

She did take a dried bread crust from me today though :)

MyT

Back