in a quandry...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Situation

I had two black holland lops babies. Gal wanted to buy one. Said sure. I had two, it was no never mind to me to say sure. BUT I lost one to weaning issues/feed issue.

Left me with one black kit.

It's a very lovely kit. Small. Sits up nicely. Other than being black (which I find a difficult colour) it's exactly the type of kit which at this stage in my holland lop goals is what I look to keep and hopefully if all goes well...breed.

I decided to withdraw that kit from sale.
Removed her from my for sale page.

Sold the mother. The rest of the litter was oversized or faded away. This kit has never had a hiccup...no nestbox eye, no weaning issues, always just a happy friendly little lass.

I hadn't heard from the gal interested in her for more than two weeks so my assumption was that she had changed her mind, was no longer interested in the kit. So I didn't even THINK to contact the gal about the bunny. Why would I? After two weeks.. assume no deal, she found one somewhere else.

Today I get in my inbox an interac deposit for that kit.

And hubby and I are both stumped.

What do I do?

Once an interac deposit is made, as far as I know, it's a done deal. As in the money is gone, the fund transfer is sent.

I HAVE NOT done anything with the deposit.

I do have another black kit in the nestbox... but those are eggs I don't count on until the kits are weaned and doing well.

I'm feeling all ACK about this and just like hmm... what do I do.

Should I honour the original plan?
Should I say well.. you'll have to wait six weeks?

I'm of NO MIND to send her an interac deposit back.
She should have checked with me first.
I don't like spending banking fees needed for Interac transfers...

But at the same time I don't want to be pushed into doing something I really don't want to.
but I don't want to leave her holding the bag either...

ACK....I just don't know.....

Feedback please?

This is an interesting predicament. On my website, I have a note posted for people on my waiting list **Just because you are on the waiting list does not guarantee a kit in the liter. I will not decide what to sell until 8-12weeks** You can't control if the kit passes when there was originally two. Things happen and if they are of good showing/brood quality, I think you reserve the right to keep the kit. I have one girl that has been waiting for about 4 months now for a buck because the one she had pre-purchased was a doe in my last liter . She has her deposit down and everything and is just waiting for when I have something for her which should be relatively soon. Sometimes people have to wait for things. I also make deposits non-refundable.

I think the girl that payed just dug a hole for herself and it is her fault. Be honest,tell her what happened to the other kit, and explain to her your reasons for retaining it.

But that is just my opinion and way of doing things :)

Generally in a business when something is pulled without informing someone even if contact has not been made in weeks the money is refunded. I've had it happen a few times with companies. However with fees to do so I would probably tell her she can wait for a kit with the knowledge you have no idea how long that might be since you can't count on every litter or you will subtract the fees to refund since she did not contact you for weeks. Sort of like buyer pays return shipping cost.

ladysown":5gx61j5s said:
Situation:

I had two black holland lops babies. Gal wanted to buy one. Said sure.

That sounds like the most honorable of contracts to me- a hand-shake agreement. You "sold" something to her, trusting that she would pay for it, and she trusted you to sell it to her. You should honor your word.

Parting with this rabbit may be hard, but look on it as a learning experience. Any "conditions of sale" should be outlined in advance- draw up a contract with stipulations for future sales if you think it is appropriate.

at this point I explained the whole situation to her. Left it in her court for the most part. There are always other bunnies out there though I would miss this little one it's not a huge deal. But I want to keep it. :) but one way or the other it will work out.

it's hard sometimes when things are all done through email and so many people back out without informing you and then someone surprises you two weeks later with OH...here's the money for that rabbit!

I also consider selling to myself as equally valid as selling to someone else. And i always tell people, first come, first served I don't hold rabbits without payment.

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone's told me. "Yes! I'll be right over! You've got a deal!!!" ........Then, as I sit waiting, until the cows come home....no one show's up!

Over 14 days is a long time w/no correspondence in this electronic age. Whatever decision you make, you should feel comfortable with. I wouldn't worry over it. There's an old saying: Money talks.....B.S. walks!

Grumpy.

well that was a really nice... she's decided she'll wait, see what I have in six weeks OR she might take a look at another litter I have. Completely different colours, but they intrigue.. SO... This might work out really well all round. :)

So glad I slept on it, and got some additional feedback, before answering her email. :)

In my opinion, the professional thing to do would be to honor the original deal... But what do I know.

Does she have any other rabbits? Perhaps you could co-own for the first two years, meaning she takes care of the rabbit but allows her to come to your place once/twice a year for breeding until weaning. After that, she becomes the full property of the owner.

I think you've found a fair solution, Ladysown. :) The case could be argued either way but far better that you explained the situation and worked it out together. :goodjob:

Two weeks is a LONG delay for sending a deposit... and for all she knew you might have sold the rabbit in the interim. Your policy, after all, is first come, first served. She would have been better to email you before sending the deposit to make sure the rabbit was still available.

There is a stipulation on my website that waiting lists are not guarantees. If the buyer does not make a deposit at the time of inquiry, there is no guarantee that the rabbit will be held, and I don't take deposits for rabbits that are not ready to be sold. Deposits are valid for two weeks after they are made, after which, if there is no contact or agreement between buyer and seller, the deposit is not refundable. If there is some type of problem, like I loose the kits or some error on my part, I will refund the money; but the the system is designed to keep me from taking requests, making promises or taking deposits on kits that are not ready to go out the door. Nothing is even listed on my website before I decide what is staying or going.

Back