Question for spinners

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aileen

Reaction score
If you clip your very hairy rabbit, can you spin their wool as easily as when you brush/pluck it?

Four rabbits make for a lot of brushing, as you probably know. :lol:

Aileen, loads of people do the shearing instead of plucking. The biggest problem is shearing at the right time. If they've started to grow in the new coat, you can end up with bits of the new coat in with the shorn fiber.

Some people say they can tell the difference..the plucked wool will have an end on it that helps it to wrap around when you spin. Many many people say it makes no difference. I suspect, that since you are already an excellent spinner, you'll have no problems.

That's my 2cents worth :)

I spin for myself so it doesn't matter to me. When its real hot in summer I often cut every buns wool off. I may loose some for spinning because I timed it real bad but the comfort of the rabbits matters most to me. When I do hit it good enough for spinning, I can spin it as long as its at least 2 inches in length. Plucked or cut i have no probs spinning.
My English and crosses that are more English get cut more often just because they matt faster than the rest. I spin that to as long as its not a matted piece.

I dont sell fiber but if i did I would only sell plucked to get top dollar. I think that is where it matters most, value for selling.

Latest posts

Back