So many questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
I wish I could stop asking questions and give a little advice. Maybe in a year or 2 :roll:

Anyway you might know about the three angoras I got for my Thirteenth b-day.

The buck just got plucked,
he has not eaten hardly 1 cup of pellets since the 15th, ( I mixed the pellets that came with him 1\2 & 1\2 with pellets I had)
I gave him 1 cc of mineral oil 2 or3 days ago,
I started feeding him hay on Fri. it is a mix of alfalfa and grassy weedy hay,
Checked his teeth today (it was very hard & I couldn't see them very well) :) they might have been a little too long. I'll give him a chew block.

So, he is kinda bony, and not eating pellets, What do I do?

Could it be worms, lack of mineral, what does everybunny think.

I am trying to call the person I got him from, but it's Sunday and shes most likely at church.

Thanks for being helpful and patient with all my ?s

~Farm Girl

was he plucked when he came to you?

if you did it he may be quite stressed

is he pooping normally?

personally I'd work slowly on upping his hay and fresh - I'd have him only on the pellets he is used to and I'd watch him like a hawk

one...if a bunny stops eating you need to jump on that right away. A bunny that stops eating is a bunny that has a tummy ache going on.

EVEN if he's eating but drastically reduces the amount it's eating, you need to react to that as quickly as you can.

With angoras they need hay all the time.
If it's wool block I'm hoping that Ann can help you.

Is he eating anything?
Have you offered him oats at all?
Greens?

What is he doing?
Does he grind his teeth?
Sitting hunched and sick like?

You need to be giving the angoras grass hay (timothy or similar)...something with a lot of fiber...every day if they're getting pellets. The hay does 2 things. Gives them something to do other than groom themselves, and provides fiber so that the hair they ingest from grooming can slide through.

If it's wool block...I don't know what to tell you. I've never had to deal with it. I know quite a few Angora people feed papaya enzyme daily. (it helps digest the hair)

wool block sucks- the key is to get them eating .. anything at first

the key indicator for it is poop pellets strung together with strands of wool - the very first poop looks nearly normal except is attached by the end (I gather- luckily I have caught it fast the twice I've seen it) the poop is TINY and can be multiple strung ..

this could be wool block, statis, stressed sick rabbit or a bunch of other things at this point ..

In addition to the other things suggested, some dandelion greens (mildly laxative and very nutritious) may help get him eating. Start with a nice big handful and work it up from there. Don't leave uneaten greens in the cage longer than 24 hours... Fresh needs to be fresh.

You might want to offer an electrolyte solution as well as plain water. Some rabbits can be coaxed to drink more by offering them chamomile tea or weak black tea (cooled, of course).

If you have a willow tree handy, cut a small branch and give it to him. The leaves are nutritious and most bunnies love them... and the inner bark contains an aspirin-like substance that will help relieve any discomfort he may be feeling. Poplar works too, but willow is best.

was he plucked when he came to you? No I plucked him.

is he pooping normally? I am not sure if its normal but he is pooping.

Is he drinking enough water? If he doesn't get water, he won't eat. yes he is drinking.

Is he eating anything? Some hay and a few pellets .

Have you offered him oats at all? Yes I gave him about a TBSP of oats last night and he ate them up, I just gave him a handful this morning not sure if he ate them.

Greens? A few, a handful of dandelions this morning, and some strawberry leaves and clover yesterday.

What is he doing? He just sits and nibbles hay,and sits in the corner.

Does he grind his teeth? I haven't heard him do it.

Sitting hunched and sick like? A little bit, his head doesn't droop, he just sits inthe corner .

You need to be giving the angoras grass hay (timothy or similar)...something with a lot of fiber...every day if they're getting pellets. The hay I am giving him is 1/2 alfalfa 1/2 weed hay with grass. The hay place near us didn't have any Timothy.

the key indicator for it is poop pellets strung together with strands of wool - the very first poop looks nearly normal except is attached by the end (I gather- luckily I have caught it fast the twice I've seen it) the poop is TINY and can be multiple strung ..

I have seen a few string but isn't all like that and it wasn't TINY.

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions I searched and found several ideas for curing WB.

*Farm Girl*

Your hay. 1/2 alfalfa 1/2 weed grass. With that you could actually reduce the pellents he's getting once he gets back all fat and healthy. The pellets are mostly made up of alfalfa...alfalfa is pretty high in protein. I'd go with someting like oats or barley or wheat...whatever is less expensive for you..OR cut back on pellets and give more hay.

If you can find some willow branches or stalks, he'd probably love those. Apple twigs would be good, too. Raspberry canes too. Roses are yummy, but the thorns tend to get caught quickly in angora wool. (as long as the bushes haven't been sprayed with chemicals for bugs)

Please let us know how it goes with him :) These rabbits are a very different learning curve than other critters. Their systems can get upset by things that most animals would just throw back up, but since a bun can't throw up...it has to go THROUGH :( Angoras, particularly, can have issues because of all that wool. And so MUCH of their energy is geared toward making the fiber, that it's really easy for themto get super skinny in a short period of time...AND because of all that wool again..you don't SEE them getting skinny (or in my case, FAT)

Latest posts

Back