Dehydrated Rabbit Ears ??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milcreek

Reaction score
New to the meat rabbit business and was wondering if anyone has tried to make dehydrated rabbit ears for dog treats?

That producer kicked up a big fuss on another forum when the same question was asked a few years ago-- but basically, you can put the ears om a wire rack in your oven, temp set real low (about 150-200 degreesF) and 'bake' till dry. And your basic food dehydrator works well, too.

Ok, i have never heard of that, are they scraping of the fur first or leaving it on i would love to give those to my dogs(they personly wouldn't care fur/ or no fur)

The fur on the ears is so short that I wouldn't worry about it. Let us know the "recipe" you use and how they turn out! I would also be interested to know what size dogs you are giving them to and how long it takes them to eat one.

Maggie beat me to answering I see. Two votes for fur on and counting!

ok cool, I have a Bordercollie/Springer(f 1 1/2yrs), Bluenose pit(f 2yrs), 3/4 pit 1/4 lab (m 5 1/2m), German Shorthair/white pit (f 1yr+, and last but not least and pure pit half bluenose half chocolate bidle (just turned 3m). the four older dogs it takes them about 1 min to go throw a pig ear, but ill let you know when i give them the rabbit ears to see if it takes them longer(im hoping so)

If it takes them a minute to eat a pig's ear, I'm betting about 15 seconds for a rabbit ear, unless you have English Lops! :lol:

No i have New Zealands, Rex's, and an asortment of minis, and one Flemish. if i ever find him a girl freind i'd give the dogs those ears my guys only 5 month and has 12in plus ears(havent checked in a week)

My German Shepherds pretty much swallow them whole. The ear leather is not that thick. Comes out more like a a potato chip.

digitaloutlaw":3bs5virf said:
I have been thinking of this myself I want to save all of my rabbit ears and skin and make rawhide toys for my dogs

On the rawhide note, I had a salted hide on the dog grooming table. Maybe it's been there for a week. I've been closely guarding dogs because the girls was going out of season, but not yesterday, when Chase, AKA Wolfboy, AKA Chisel, snatched it. That caused quite and uproar, and I went running out of the bunny barn to see him with the pelt of one of my favorite rabbits. Well I let him eat it, salted and all, what else could be done. He seems to have a thing for jerky :)

My dogs love the hides salted, we try not to give it to them but they ended up with a couple one day when the door wasn't closed all the way on the hot tub room(we store extra pelts in there if we run out of room on the hanger)

What a cool idea! My dog takes the raw head with great enthusiasm but then just leaves them lying about her pen. Talk about stink! I think she might actually EAT the dried ears, esp if I "accidentally" leave them on the table :lol:

Strange question but would a cat eat them (never got them the other ears so I doubt it) was planning on drying mine as I hate to see things go to waste but I don't have a dog or want to get mobbed by animal rights people for trying to sell / give away even

Back