Busy Planting my garden

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
trying to figure out what to plant next....

I'm not planting as many tomatoes as I did last year as I've lots canned yet.

So I've half a garden to plant.
I've planted lettuces, melons, squash, cucumbers, beans, tomatoes, carrots galore (never ask a four year what he wants to plant), parsley, green onions, regular onions, peas (regular and sugar snap), green and black peppers, going to get celery and brussel sprouts,

that still leaves me with out six rows I can plant of something....

hmm...what to plant, what to plant....

Your garden must be huge! How about a few pumpkins for the boy's Halloween and maybe a pie or two? The bunnies may eat them too. Some more herbs? You've got parsley, but how about some sage, rosemary, thyme, savory and marjoram? Lemon balm for tea and bunnies? Or start an asparagus bed. Rhubarb. A couple of red currant bushes...I'm all for as many perennials as possible.

I have gooseberry and red and black currant bushes, I have rhubarb. Pumpkins I see as squash and they are planted.

Never thought about lemom balm...is that a mint type and therefore requiring care when planting so it doesn't take over the world? I'll do some herbs as well, thanks for the reminder.

Lemon balm is related to mint but it is not quite as aggressive and does not seem to put out those underground stems. It does self seed quite prolifically, but if you get too much just toss it to the buns. None of the other herbs I mentioned will cause those kinds of problems and if you place your sage and thyme in a permanent location, chances are good they will come back next year.

As Maggie said, it's an aggressive re-seeder, but you can either clip the blooms, or just let it reseed. It smells wonderful when you're weeding! I never had a problem with it spreading any other way but by seed though.

Love the stuff. Most nursery's etc will have it, it's pretty easy to find.

Shannon

I found some herbs, some celery, brussel sprouts, and a few other plants. We'll be busy today doing some planting. :)<br /><br />__________ Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm __________<br /><br />i hate making a boyo cry....
I didn't realize he wanted to plant the stuff we got from the greenhouse yesterday.
told him I was going out to plant, and he didn't show, so I planted

he came out crying. "MOMMY!!! I was watching imagination movers! I wanted to plant my plants!!! and you did it already! Why didn't you wait for me?" total sobs...

Oh No poor J, I always loved planting when I was little.

I did some planting to day too. Carrots (which I forgot I had until today). and Giant Sunflowers called King :lol: they're going to be over 8ft tall. Yesterday I finished trenching the back garden and planted a red currant bush :) I still have corn, beans, and zucchini to plant, as well as tomatoes, and peppers.

Latest posts

Back