Ack! Vienna is loosing her hair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody else in the colony seems fine. Vienna has lost 80% of the wool on her left side, and some from the right side. it's like she's shed...without any hair coming in underneath. (interesting pattern on her body, I must say...like a pinto horse)

What's going on? Any ideas? I can't see any critters on her, and there haven't been any fights..no scratches or anything.

she's had the look of not being "full" since kindling. but this is brand new. Happened overnight. And no sign of anything on her skin. No irritation. No redness. just...no hair.

She's nice and plump, still with milk. She's just bald :lol: I can see Vienna hair in the nest tunnel, but not in a nest exactly. Just sort of all around. There MIGHT be some in the colony area, but it's hard to tell with the bedding. I should clean everything out and check for hair, I suppose.

so strange. She was due to shed right aroudn the time of kindling. I plucked some off so that she didn't use the really long stuff to nest with. Maybe the stress just caused her to shed without growing in new hair? Time will tell if she's in trouble, I guess. Vet wasn't any help. Someone suggested I call our University (Nice vet school here), which I'll do tomoroow if she loses any more.

Okay, that fills in the picture a bit... I would guess that it is connected with kindling... there is a lot of loose fur available then and perhaps - because of the shared nest - not all of it was utilized as beddiung for the kits. After all, she was the third to kindle in that communal nest... so not much was needed. And since she was due to shed around about then... a lot was probably shed and wasted. ( Image here of of Ann trying to retrieve all the wasted Vienna wool.)

If it should chance to be wool mites (Although one wonders how they might have got into a closed colony) the other does and/or kits would exhibit the same symptoms. I'm guessing that this is nothing to worry about as long as Vienna seems perky, healthy and happy.

Mike forgot to bring me a microscope last night, so I couldn't do a REALLY close inspection of scrapings and hair to see if there were little icky crawly things. She seems to be feeling warm...lays in the unbedded area a lot. (the does have taken all the bedding out of one side of the colony and they lay there when it's warm in the room or after a lot of activity)

She's bloody active. No changes there. And her appetite is still good. :shrug: We'll just keep a close eye on her. GOD she looks funny. I'll try to get a picture of her. :D ehhe. I should start a bunny blog. I could call it "Bunny Bounce - featuring Vienna the Bald, CB as the Diva, and Fat Little Bunny as the comic relief" heh. and Sweetie as the Hot Younger Woman in town who is fated to be the homewrecker! and of course, the Matriarch: Mama-san with her long suffering, but faithful hubby Peter. (who eventually falls victim, as men will, to a younger woman wiggling her fat behind at him)

okay. picture time. I should be VERY ashamed to post these, but......

DSCF4775.jpg

DSCF4777.jpg

The other side shows more of the damage on the chest, but she wouldn't sit still long enough for many shots. Sure isn't anything wrong with her muscle tone and use of the hind legs, let me tell you....

You have no reason to be ashamed, Ann... problems crop up with rabbits sometimes. It is a shame when she has such pretty fur, but it doesn't look too serious, going by the pictures.

How is Vienna placed in the pecking order? I'm wondering if one of the other rabbits is pulling her fur or if she is doing it herself. You might want to put the cam on them for a few days and do some observing.

niobe has patches much like that right now - it seems to be overgrooming by his harem ...<br /><br />__________ Wed May 19, 2010 5:21 pm __________<br /><br />niobe has patches much like that right now - it seems to be overgrooming by his harem ...

She looks like a giant version of one of the Wooly bucks I used to have, he molted last year, and lost all his fur before growing new stuff in. The Mini Rex do it on occasion too, we just call it the molt from H***

Back