what a lovely time of year

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
Mr Franklin is loving it
dandilions (minute quantities but he loves the flowers)
canes from berry bushes
baby plantain
wee clovers
maple and apple leaves

oh what a happy bunny

the rest are starting up too but he gets the full range first :)

Yup, I have a zillon dandelions here, some plantain and the apple tree is budding. I love this time of year but we have to keep reminding ourselves that it's still early. The tree that shades the porch (no idea what it is) is starting to fill in so I'll soon have my shady porch back which will be in shade all day during the summer and is fantastic.

Our greens are far enough along that I can pick a bucketful in 10 - 15 minutes. We have lots of chicory, dandelions, Queen Anne's lace, raspberry leaves, alfalfa and smaller amounts of lots of others. The rabbits are loving it. Alice dances with indignation if she doesn't get hers first. :D<br /><br />__________ Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 pm __________<br /><br />Well, our six rabbits had 4 gallons of greens among them this evening. I've switched to the five gallon bucket. I didn't quite fill it because this represents a substantial increase in green feed and I'll give them a few days to adjust to the 4 gallons before I start filling it to the top. Polly is headed for freezer camp as soon as I can find the time, so by then the five remaining rabbits will be getting a gallon a day, plus hay and a small handful of grain. They don't eat much but greens this time of year... but I like to keep all three components in front of them.

I just love how lush the weeds are this time of year! :bouncy: Of course, most people would think I'm nuts to love the weeds, but a lawn of just grass looks so boring and impoverished to me. Give me lots of clover and dandelions, chicory and mallow, shepherd's purse and yarrow, sow thistle and prickly lettuce... and so on. Everybunny here agrees with me. :D

I agree. If I lived where nobody could see my property I would let the lawn grow wild and have plenty for my bunnies to eat. However, I live along a heavily traveler road with neighbors not too far so I have to keep it reasonably groomed!
I've started the greens slowly as those born during the winter have never seen greens before and the adults haven't had greens all winter.

Going slowly in the springtime is a good idea. Since I start as soon as the grass begins to green, when it is hard to get more than a few handfuls of grass for the buns, they get gradually increasing amounts as the season progresses. Mine get some fresh even during the winter: a bit of cabbage or carrot or rutabaga, grain grasses etc. Just treat sized portions to keep their digestive systems accustomed to fresh foods. And, of course, they always have their alfalfa/grass hay and a bit of grain.

We have snow on the ground here this morning. It was quite a blizzard yesterday but nothing stayed on the ground but this morning the grass is white and the cars are covered in a thin layer of snow. No snow on the road or driveway, though.

Back